Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 9 years ago

Is it an unusual British slang?

I ran into this sentence in Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby. I don't understand the expression of "two a new pee". Is it a British slang? I can not even find any entry of it in a dictionary.

"Charlie George is one of the few seventies icons who has so far managed to avoid being deconstructed, possibly because he appears at first glance to be one of the identikit George Best/Rodney Marsh/Stan Bowles long-haired, wayward wasters who were two a new pee twenty years ago."

Could you tell me what the sentence means?

• Best answer

I think I know what it means, a new pee, or more correctly "p", was what the penny became called jokingly for a short while when the currency changed to decimal in 1971, to distinguish it from the old penny. There was an older expression that if something was "two a penny" (a shortened form of "two for a penny") it was very common, often found, nothing unusual, cheap, you could buy two of them for a penny. So it looks as if the sentence is just saying there were lots and lots of these "long haired wayward wasters twenty years ago", i.e. "two a penny, or two a new pee", pee of course also being a pun on taking a pee, it was never the official spelling of the new penny.

OK, British currency used to use a coin called the "pence" or "penny" and then they decimalized their currency and then they had a "new pence," which was called a "new pee" in slang, so, "two a new pee" means "two for a new pence" which is the equivalent of the American phrase "a dime a dozen."

Good luck!... ☺

• ?

Here's a good website for British slang. Hope it helped!

no that is not slang and there is no such thing as british slang as each place in the uk has there owe slang