I'm an Obama supporter but I have to ask: Should we build a German Cultural Center right next to Auschwitz now?

I understand why Obama spoke out. He is attempting to take the high road. It's about religious freedom, not an endorsement of Islam. I get it. I hate to say it but he's too much of an idealistic intellectual. This is how liberals fail. They have a tendency to be too accommodating, to see the whole human... show more I understand why Obama spoke out. He is attempting to take the high road. It's about religious freedom, not an endorsement of Islam. I get it.

I hate to say it but he's too much of an idealistic intellectual. This is how liberals fail. They have a tendency to be too accommodating, to see the whole human race in rosy colors. They fail to acknowledge that there are truly hostile people in this world. Sometimes, tolerance is a vice.

Common sense suggests that building an Islamic Cultural Center blocks from Ground Zero is a slap in the face to America. And why hasn't the center released information yet on the sources of its funding? It wouldn't be the first time that a mosque received money from the terrorist groups.

This is the incident with Professor Gates all over again. Did he have to speak out at all? Does everything have to be a teachable moment. My God, it's two and a half months before the midterms and he does this. He's reinforcing the false suspicion that he's Muslim and perhaps even an al-Qaeda. What the hell was he thinking?
Update: EDIT:
DM: Just because something is legal doesn't mean that it's ethical. Obama is not in a position to close the center but he does have a right to condemn it.
Update 2: brown950: I'm sure that I'm not the first person to ask this. How does that relate to the question?
Update 3: justagrandma: You're correct. The government does not have the right to curtail religious worship, even if it's offensive -- as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of other. In this case, the center doesn't violate anyone's right. However, Obama might have condemned the center and the... show more justagrandma:
You're correct. The government does not have the right to curtail religious worship, even if it's offensive -- as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of other. In this case, the center doesn't violate anyone's right. However, Obama might have condemned the center and the utter insensitivity of opening it there. Just because something is legal doesn't make it right.
Update 4: Wolf & Won't Get Fooled Again:
I am aware that Auschwitz is located in Poland.

Won't Get: The Bill of Rights does not grant freedoms; it only acknowledges them. All human beings have those rights, whether they are recognized or not.
Update 5: Molly: The 9/11 highjackers are often said to have been insane. Hitler is often called a madman. These people are not insane; they're evil. They meet the criteria of evil: they knew right from wrong, were free to choose between the two, and chose evil.
Update 6: norsekeyenta2: I fully sympathize with you but I'm afraid that Obama is not in a position to stop the center from being opened. In fact, the building was being used for awhile as an Islamic cultural center, even prior to the decision by the landmark board. The board's decision concerned only the... show more norsekeyenta2: I fully sympathize with you but I'm afraid that Obama is not in a position to stop the center from being opened. In fact, the building was being used for awhile as an Islamic cultural center, even prior to the decision by the landmark board. The board's decision concerned only the preservation of the outside of the building.