If you were asked to swear on the Bible, what would you say?

In Britain swearing means using bad language and of course a judge asks you to swear on the Bible if giving evidence in court.

Favorite Answer

I would ask to give an oath or affirmation that the Bible never stopped people from lying if they so chose.

• ?

I simply would refuse to swear on a Bronze Age set of books that have long ago lost any significance..at least to me...i would swear on the Constitution-but never on a God book,..

Source(s): Atheist and Bright.
  • Moi

Christians are not to swear. US courts respect this so we may reply with a yes or no as scripture permits.

Mat 5:33 ¶ Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:

Mat 5:34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:

Mat 5:35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.

Mat 5:36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.

Mat 5:37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

In America swear means to promise. I would say "I don't believe in it but OK."

**** off bible

• Clay

"You don't happen to have any Tolkien works I could swear on instead?"

*picks up Bible and cusses at it*

"**** you, bible".