? asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

Debarked dog is still too loud?

I got my dog debarked because all the noise was interfering with my tv watching. He is a lot quieter now, but he still does this really annoying wheezing/gasping noise when trying to bark. Is there another procedure I can get to completely remove his ability to make ALL sounds? Some sort of advanced debarking? I don't care what it costs since I love my dog and my only other option is to put him down.

Get a frigging stuffed animal rather than a living one....only a total idiotic moron would ever do that to an animal rather than properly training it. I guess next it will be blinding it!

It is a dog- dogs will bark. Even a debarked dog will still make the wheezing type of bark. Generally the more the dog barks after surgery the more likely it is they will get part or all of their voice back.

There is no way to remove the dogs ability to make noise completely except euthanasia which in these circumstances is an unacceptable method of dealing with the problem. If you cannot handle the barking- find a rescue or get a behaviorist to find the source of the barking.

You do have more options. I'm going to take you at face value when you say that you "love your dog" and suggest something that takes some responsibility on your part: Training. Its only costs are the costs of a harness/collar and leash as well as treats or just reserving part of his food for it.

First, figure out why he's barking. Does he bark at the television itself? Is he just looking out the window barking at other dogs outside?

Once you know what he's barking at, keep him on a leash full-time in the house when you're working with him. It won't be forever-- just while he's learning. When he starts trying to bark at the TV or you or whatever it is that's bugging him, immediately remove him to another room with the leash at the very first squeak or wheeze. Don't let him back until he's been completely quiet for a handful of seconds in the new place. If that doesn't work (give it many chances first), you can alternately remove yourself as soon as he starts to bark. There's a high chance he's trying to bark to get attention from you, so if you just leave, he might be stumped, hush, and follow you to see what's up. Any time he's being quiet and calm, praise and treat him. Obviously you'll be missing a lot of TV for the first week or so of training, so DVR your shows. Once he gets it, he'll hush. Then all you'll have to do is give him occasional rewards when he's being good.

In addition, you can teach him a word like "stop." Dogs have no idea what that means, and screaming it at them doesn't help. If you scream or raise your voice at all, he may actually think you're joining in with the barking. Instead, teach him (separately from the other training at first, in a different session or block of time) that looking at you and being quiet when you say "stop" is a good thing. So you just sit with your dog in the same room, wait till he looks at you, then treat him. Then, start saying "stop" every time he looks at you and then treat him. Then, you start saying "stop" BEFORE he looks at you. He'll catch on soon that "stop" means "pay attention to my master instead of what I was just doing."

As you're doing any training, always be consistent. If he does something you want to discourage, always dish out the consequence (immediate removal by grabbing his leash and getting him out of the way until he calms down). However, don't punish him if he doesn't follow a command. Anytime he doesn't follow a command, it's probably because he hasn't truly learned it yet. If he follows a command correctly, always give him something-- just good praise and a pat is enough for most of the time once he really knows the command well. Still treat occasionally (or hold back some of his normal daily ration specifically for use in training). And never ever repeat commands over and over. The command isn't "stop stop stop stop stop stop stop," and you don't want him to think it is. You want him to obey immediately.

It will be hard work at first, but if you commit to it, you and your dog will be much happier with each other.

• 12345

On Uhave2be's troll scale of 1-10 this is definitely a 2. 10 being best.

Sad.

At least be creative.

I know this is a mock question but..people really "debark" their dogs? I've never heard of it. Ridiculous.

how about spending some time with your dog. take it on a walk an hour a day, and take it to to some obedience classes. If you can't find time to take care of your dog then maybe you should give it up

Is there a procedure that would completely remove your ability to troll the internet?

lol.....your tv watching? Thats how a dog communicates.

Thats like you losing your voice forever.Hows he going to

communicate with other dogs? You want to put him down because

he does what dogs do?

You dont need a dog then.

• Anna
      2 years agoReport

The dog can communicate with other dogs through body language. It's NOT like losing your voice because you can't compare a human talking to a dog barking. But since the asker loved the TV more than spending time with the dog he should have rehomed it.

Oh how cute. You got your last account back so you made a new one and decided to go with the same old tired trolling you did before.

You should walk to the nearest freeway and jump infront of a large car to stop the annoying sounds in your ear.

• Anna
      2 years agoReport

But then the asker would damage the car when he fell on it.