Skidoo
Skidoo asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

Will there ever really be peace in Northern Ireland?

Will the legacy of The Troubles always be felt?

someone else asked this a few days ago, and most of the Irish people who answered say yes there will be, however, time and again you hear of further splinter groups, from Real IRA, IRA or any other faction.

And as they have people who in their heyday were known terrorists, now in power, one can only wonder.

I say not, but i don't live there, and quite frankly the time i have been to Ireland i still felt uncomfortable in some places as a English person.

i have just read an interesting piece by Andy McNab, ex SAS soldier, and he gives a definite No.

• Jude

It is a LOT better than it was 20 or 30 years ago! I have family in Northern Ireland, and things are so much better. However there is still ingrained sectarianism that is going to take several generations to lose, it is so deeply instilled in people. And there are still dissidents trying to pull people back to the bad old days. But the province has come so far, I can hardly believe it. And though my Grandad ( a real old-time Unionist) is probably spinning in his grave at the changes that have happened, I am so thankful that there really is a good future now for the people of Ulster. I am hopeful, I really am.

I don't know , there will be problems bubbling under the surface for a long time to come , I think if there were no such thing as Orange marches most of the trouble would go away , most of the excuse for confrontation would disappear , I don't see the need to dress up and bang drums down a neighbourhood when you know for sure it will get a negative reaction , but they do it anyway. In most places outside Northern Ireland it is seen for what it is , backward unnecessary triumphalism , and if that wasn't enough...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1027/1469344120_f50...

Burning Irish flags in bonfires every year , it has become a defacto fact of life that is accepted in the Unionist community , yet again , sad , backward and an unnecessary incitement of hatred.

Why do this ****?

Statistically it certainly looks promising with vast improvement since 2001

http://www.psni.police.uk/5._statistics_relating_t...

Legacy:I don't know about always but certainly for a generation at least, particularly for those directly affected.

I'm often in Norn Iron and there's little or no 'sense' of unease now.I've stopped in areas that would have been die hard Protestant with my Donegal plate car,asked for directions and been warmly met.The fact that anyone in the north can have an Irish passport blurrs the division further.The Irish government when deciding where jobs go includes Northern Ireland in the choice.People are enjoying the peace.Those that aren't are few and far between now.

Of course. There is still alot going on in the background. The fact Martin Maguiness, a known murderer,is the deputy first minister of Northern Ireland proves The Troubles will always be felt. Its such a shame its hanging around-the place and people are on the whole, lovely.

The Dalai Lama has stated that the future of Civilisation as we know it, depends on educated women in The West ... only they can draw out the venom in all these tribal disputes, and see things with a little more clarity than a testosterone-crazed hate male ....

After all, who secured the Derry nomination for City of Culture?

Clue: It wasn't Bill!

• SBD

It's been more peaceful than many of us believed possible. So I suppose the answer is yes, maybe.

When I was a child there was still the USSR and the Berlin wall - they felt permanent. Turns out that dramatic change is possible.

• Eddi

No peace will come until those horrible Orangemen marches are stopped. Those marches are fueled by hate, and have caused an open sore that will take a long time to heal.

With one side still trying to revise history and the other refusing to accept all people as equals then no change will come.

The Orangemen are about the only problem left