promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What kind of UK car number plate has 3 letters and 4 numbers?

I have seen a few cars with 3 letters and 4 numbers and no apparent year letter. eg JIL1234

Does anyone know what type of number plate these are?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favourite answer

They are Northern Ireland plates but some vehicles in Great Britain have them as personal/vanity plates (usually to hide the vehicles age).

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Neil
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

JIL 1234 is from County Fermanagh in Northern Ireland.

When the rest of the the UK introduced the year identifier to registration plates between 1962 and 1965, Northern Ireland had no need to do so, as the number of cars registered there was still quite low.

When the rest of the UK changed the system in 1983 and again in 2001, again Northern Ireland had no reason to do so, although the current system has been designed to allow Northern Ireland to adopt if if necessary. Effectively Northern Ireland is still running the pre-1962 system.

Up to 1989, Northern Ireland plates worked on a system of AXX 1 to AXX 9999, followed by BXX 1. From 1989, the 1, 2 and 3 digit numbers have been retained for sale, so the normally-issued numbers now run from AXX 1000 to AXX 9999, followed by BXX 1000.

The digits represented by "XX" above represent the county or city in which the car was first registered, and always include an "I" or a "Z".

If you see a similar number without an "I" or "Z" then it is a older England, Scotland or Wales number from before the 1962-1965 adoption of the age identifier.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Any Number plate that has 1 or 2 letters then numbers and letters is a normal plate.

Eg

ABC 123 V

A 123 BCD

AB 12 CDE

If the number plate starts with Q the car is modified/custom build or a kit car.

Any other plate is personalised, If you have a personalised plate remember there are laws about the font, size and spacing that need to be applied, or you can be fined and forced to have a new plate made.

• 5 years ago

Northern Ireland.

The older English plates would be in the following formats…

AB 1 to

AB 1234

ABC 123

123 ABC

ABC 123 A

A 123 ABC

AB 01 CDE

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Cars first registered in Northern Ireland :)

I live there. i know these things lol.

Generally, they'll go 2 letters, a Z and then four numbers.

my old clio was ALZ 2363. there is a way of working out the year of reg, but i've apparently forgotten it :S

• 10 years ago

A registration number starting with 'JIL' would have been issued by Fermanagh County Council at the Enniskillen L.V.L.O., in Northern Ireland.

• 3 years ago

Source(s): Vehicle History Report http://VinNumberLookup.gelaf.info/?k6IQ
  • 10 years ago

They're Irish plates, many people in the rest of the UK buy them because they are not age related.

• 6 years ago

Mj 55

• 10 years ago

these number plates are before they started to use an alphabet year at the end of the number plate. now the first A reg was early 1960s about 1963 ish.

of course a lot of the cars from these number plates no longer exist. so they can be sold/ reused on newer cars.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.