How can I help my Nan? She has Lewy Body Dementia.?

My Nan is 87 and has had Parkinson's Disease for about 8 years. Her health has deteriorated and after a DAT scan in hospital she has been diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia and is unsafe to live alone now. She is therefore in a nursing home to be cared for.

We are only a small family and my Mum, Uncle and myself go to visit her regularly. However Nan is obviously not herself anymore and seems so sad and unhappy, even when we visit her. She is also suffering from paranoia and hallucinations which are very hard to deal with. We try to cheer her up, but she is so down and unhappy. She is also taking risks in relation to her walking, whereas before she used to use a Zimmer frame, but now she takes risks and tries walks without it. What also makes things worse is that she had a fall on Friday and badly bruised her face.

I have read up on Lewy Body Dementia so I know the symptoms and how Nan is acting are now typical dementia symptoms, but how do I make her happy, what can I do to make her happy, and is there anything else I can do?

The paranoia and hallucinations are very hard to deal with, and although we try to change the subject, she still sticks with the paranoia.

Is there anything else I can do. I love my Nan and I just want to do whats best for her.

Thanks for your answers xx

Just go on visiting her and loving her - it's hard I know, my mum had Parkinson's and I think was developing the same problem. The drugs which help to control her Parkinson's can also produce hallucinations which doesn't help either.

Part of her problem is unfamiliarity, she has had to lose all her familiar surroundings and her routine. I hope you have been able to take a few things of hers to the home. She might like talking about happy times in the past, especially if you can find some photos or trinkets that you can use to stimulate her memory. If this helps then you could try to make a scrapbook which the staff at the home could use to enable her to chat about her past. In any case it might be helpful to them to provide them with a sort of potted biography so they are aware of names she might use, places she might talk about etc.

Best wishes.

This is one of the less common types of dementia which often has Parkinsonian features as well. Unfortunately there is no cure and the evidence as to whether the Alzheimer drugs work in this condition is uncertain. Unfortunately these patients often need anti-Parkinson's drugs which often make their hallucinations and mental state worse. Other than doing your best to sympathise with your Nan, be patient and understanding there is little I can suggest I am afraid.

Source(s): GP for more years than I care to remember

you love your nan and she needs to know that, so lots of visits talk to her a lot about her family and past events she may be able to gain some pleasure from that. get the nurses to take more care with her getting up and walking show them that you are on her case in the nicest possible way.

make sure she is clean and well cared for that's about all you can do.