should I sign up for dancing?

i'm 12 and going into 7th grade, and i think free-style dancing is really fun, and just do it when i can with music from the radio or my laptop. i don't want to do like tap or jazz, or ballet. the dancing i want to do is where you move your arms and legs around a lot, i think its called contemporary? please help me out with that haha. anyways, dancers out there, do you think taking classes would be fun? i'm not currently in any sports and i want to drop a few pounds.

no dancing that involves partners! :) haha

all dancing requires a certain amount of discipline. You may even have a dance partner on occasion if you join a dance class (weird i know)...but if you're serious about it, it's better to try and fail than to wonder "what if?"

Taking dance class IS fun! I love it! Dance is a wonderful way to gain maturity, posture, poise, etc. I will be entering my 6th year of dance this fall. Obviously, if I did not love dance, I would have not taken it, and continue taking it, for so long. I take Pointe, Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Hip-Hop, and, recently added, Modern.

Contemporary is kind of like Ballet, except it is less strict. If you do not want to do Ballet, then I doubt you would want to do Contemporary. Modern, however, may be good for you. Modern is kind of slow, like Ballet, but you use more emotion and it involves some gymnastics and LOTS of arm and leg movements! You may also like Hip-Hop! Hip-Hop is free-style/break-dancing, dance.

Happy Dancing!

Source(s): I am going in to my 6th year of dance, this fall. I take Pointe (2 years.) I take Ballet (3 years.) I take Tap (3 years.) I take Jazz (6 years.) I take Hip-Hop (2 years.) I am going to begin Modern!

i love dancing! its a great way to express your self to, like how you feel you can express in a song. And contemporary is more emotion, other dances involve your legs and arms too. Plus, if your doing it for awhile, you'll become flexible and i have heard tht makes you live longer. Haha And ballet gives you a strong core and thts a good way to become flexible too, it will teach you a lot of new things:)

Source(s): imma dancer:)

most people would say ballet because its graceful and makes you be in shape. some will take tap because its fun, and some will say jazz because so upbeat and fun. ive been taking jazz and hip hop for 4 years and jazz is really fun :). and i 12 too. well CONTEMPORARY comes from ballet but they don't really follow the rules. when i see contemporary i see emotions. but i will say tap and ballet but if you want contemporary go for it and have fun.

Source(s): dancing for 4 years jazz and hip hop soon to be doing ballet and tap :)
  • azar

i like all sorts of music, whether i won't manage to bounce to metallic music like the define says. i might on no account do away with articles of my clothing in a public putting, i'm too conserved for that. BQ: Scorpio Mars, Aries Moon, Sagittarius Mercury