promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 10 years ago

Do folks like those delicious peaches from our own Eastern Panhandle? Immigrant workers picked them for us.?

Approximately 80 percent of Florida's 150,000 agricultural workers are undocumented. Between December and May, they give us 90 percent of our fresh domestic tomatoes bolstering a $1.6 billion industry. Do folks like those delicious peaches from our own Eastern Panhandle? Immigrant workers picked them for us.Eliminating immigrant workers from the dairy industry alone would reduce U.S. milk production by 29.5 billion pounds and put 4,532 farms out of business, not to mention the fact that retail milk prices would increase by an estimated 61 percent.These workers provide the bulk of our service work in restaurants, and have an increasing importance in building our homes, landscaping our communities, and tending to any number of dirty jobs U.S. citizens refuse to do. They help small businesses which would close without them.They do vital work and actually help create jobs. For every agricultural worker job, up to 3 additional jobs are created for U.S. citizens.When we eat chicken, fruit and vegetables and drink milk, we should thank a large number of immigrant workers who are involved in harvesting and production. I can tell you that sending them home would cause severe problems in poultry production. Immigrant workers are relied on for poultry production

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Raelyn
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favourite answer

Agriculture is one employment sector that genuinely does depend on immigrant labor. It is very hard work under very unpleasant conditions, and it is often seasonal, forcing workers to relocate from place to place. Rather than deporting these workers, our government should increase the number of H-2A agricultural worker visas. These visas do not allow workers to bring dependents, which is a good thing. Agricultural camps are no place for children, who often end up working in the fields in violation of labor laws and are vulnerable to sexual abuse from other migrants and farm supervisors.

We do not need to increase visas for meat processing workers. Until 20 years ago, that work was done mostly by US citizens and legal immigrants. It was hard and dirty work, but it paid a living wage that could support a family. Strict OSHA and labor regulations were followed because US citizen and legal resident workers knew their rights and exercised them. Meat companies busted unions and started filling vacancies with illegal immigrants who wouldn't file for workman's comp or complain about safety violations. If there's one industry that needs to feel the heat from ICE, it's the meat industry.

This "question" gets an F because cutting and pasting without citing a source is plagiarism.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Doug G
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

Immigrant farm labor is needed and legal immigrants fill that need. Illegal immigrants drag wages down. Cesar Chevez was against illegal immigration because he knew it was bad for legal union farm workers he represented. The USA needs to grant more farm worker visas.

The problem is the visas run out and the immigrant stays and becomes illegal. Once an illegal is in the USA, how do you enforce immigration laws when the federal government has a problem with Arizona asking suspected illegals for papers establishing citizenship ?

Immigrants discover they can work in other low skill better paying jobs like construction, landscaping, home cleaning which then depresses those wages for real American citizens, while at the same time increasing society costs for law enforcement, schools, housing, etc. They stay and have babies that become American citizens, overwhelm our public schools, hospital emergency rooms, apply for and get General Assistance (welfare) and food stamps and subsidized public housing for those 'anchor babies'. Quasi non-profit organizations reward and encourage illegal immigrants and assist them in obtaining tax payer funded benefits.

• savery
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

you do no longer point out the sitter's nationality. In some places, it somewhat is effortless prepare. She might have theory that by potential of leaving somewhat one in her care, you expected her to nurse. That suggested, i might have dragged that woman to the closest scientific hospital for a battery of tests. beginning with HIV/AIDS and which incorporates Hepatitis, micro organism, drugs or perhaps some drugs. i don't be attentive to in case you're able to call the government. If she truthfully did no longer be attentive to it became incorrect, or which you probably did no longer want her nursing, it may be somewhat unfair. additionally, it somewhat is not a authentic crime... i don't be attentive to if i might hearth her. solid sitters are tense to return by potential of. protection tests on my own are sufficient to coach your hair white. determine she knows to no longer nurse the infant and perchance set up a nanny cam to look in on the region.

• ?
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

This is not the forum for your essay on immigration. This is Yahoo Answers. Please look and see if you can find a forum called Yahoo Rants.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Let them be, they do the jobs we don't want to, and if we got rid of them, well **** we are screwed. As long as they don't commit crime and eventually work up to at least a work permit or our government allows a program that does something like this, they are all fine, decent working people like you and me.

• Andy
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Don't care, it's illegal I want them prosecuted.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.