kyle asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 10 years ago

in england what is a reception room?

i am from america and i was looking at houses over there and it says stuff like " 5 bedrooms, 5 reception rooms, 6 bathrooms" whats a reception room?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

A 'reception room' is defined as a room that is not a kitchen, bathroom/wc or a bedroom.

In other words its a a lounge/living room, dining room, study, playroom, family room or garden room.

If you need more information on UK houses this website is fairly detailed:

http://www.propertypriceadvice.co.uk/home/faqs/#fa...

• 3 years ago

Reception Room Definition

• Susan
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

No, because the transmitters (sending out analogue BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel 4, Five) were using more power to send analogue TV than they do to send digital TV. There are more channels sent with less power which is economical but the signal is nowhere near as good. The area also complicates things because if you are near two transmitters you may be picking up the signal from the one you don't think you're nearer to; if you read the fine print on the aerials (or the real ones, anyway) you will see what multiplex they are meant for. You may have to do that to make sure that the aerial you are using was meant for the region where you live. If the multiplex is not shown in the instructions or the box, the aerial is too cheap to be of any use in most cases. The only way around this is a roof aerial and even then the signal will not be strong enough to extend to another room, or at least one booster between the aerial and the TV. Although it is not recommended to use two boosters in a row, it seems to work in many places. But that's another kettle of fish; the average person would have to spend about £100 in amplified aerials and £50 in boosters at £5-£10 each, to find a combination that works. However two (different) boosters and an amplified aerial would generally just about work.

• 10 years ago

It's a room where you'd normally expect to entertain visitors. These would include a drawing room (formal living room), dining room, family room (casual living room), solarium or sun porch, and perhaps a library and a music room.

With today's "open plan" houses and informal customs for "having people over", it often happens that parties spill over into the kitchen, the basement recreation room, the outside terrace, and the yard or garden. But these wouldn't ordinarily be considered reception rooms.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 10 years ago

A reception room is a room such as a sitting room, drawing room, dining room or study. In other words it is a room in which you might receive guests.

• 10 years ago

I'm english but i've never heard of that expression, usually it means a room you greet people in, in a Business but i don't think it means that in what you where reading, it probably just means empty rooms 2 do what you like with?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.