Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsHockey · 10 years ago

Why do hockey players dislike figure skaters? :( or Visa Versa?

*Not saying all do*

i have recently heard a hockey player mention his hate for figure skaters, then i came on here and noticed that its more then just a few people. and also, ive heard figure skaters hating on the hockey players. I hear that the hockey players dont like that:

- We Make Holes In The Ice

from our toe picks, and that this causes them to trip, and screw up their knees. Well, im skating on the same ice, and dont notice the holes to be a big problem, plus, thats what the zamboni is there for.

- We Wear Skanky Clothes

we wear skirts (that actually dont show our butts) and short shorts because it gives us a wider range of movement. but we actually normally wear that or pants (stretchy pants... of course).

- We Are Alone On The Ice

at competition, sure, a few days a year. At practice? nooo way. we have as many skaters on ice as a hockey game, all determined to do their routine with out stopping, so we do have to look out constantly. If i had nickle for every time i said " excuse me!" or "watch out"...

-We Have To Wear Make Up And Do Our Hair For Skating.

again, a competition thing. Its only a few times a year that we get to, and it helps add to the effect of our preformance. Its fun to do, but if you dont want to wear make up, you really dont have to. As for hair, if its long enough, we keep it up in a ponytail or bunto keep it out of our face. And at comp. for judges to be less distracted. just a convenience thing.

- We Take Up Valuable Ice Time

because its 'not a sport'. Its in a the Olympics, so i would say that it is a sport. it is deffinetly not a game though. Hockey is a sport and a game, Skating is a sport and a preformance. And I wish that we did take up the good ice time! alot of the time, we have the early morning, weekday practices. waking up at 4:30= not the greatest.

-We Are Snobby

depends, a person can be snobby no matter what sport they play, and the skaters i know (including myself) are not. but who knows, go to another club, and you might find a few, but its unrelivant.

one point i didnt understand- We Dont Wear Sweaty Clothes?

umm... well, i guess its just that hockey equipment is a lot more expensive, so you only have a set or two of it. skating clothes (any shirt, sweater, tight/pants, shorts/skirt) are exceptionally cheaper, so we have various outfits that we can wash to keep clean.

an other one i dont quite get- Its Not Called An Ice Skating Rink, Its A Hockey Rink.

ours is called a skating rink (anytype of skating), or a rink, or arena.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and the skaters (again, not all) say that:

female hockey players are manly

i know a figure skater who is also a hockey player, and cheerleader who is also a hockey player, and they arent manly! i also know more.. masculine.. looking figure skaters too. so it not really a true stereo type of hockey players.

they are rude

nope, not the ones i know :) aaccept one... lol. depends on person, not sport!

they are not as tough as skaters cause they have padding, we dont.

yes, we do fall with no padding, and yess it can be very painful, but there is a reason the padding is there for the hockey players- cause if not, they would constantly suffer horrible injuries such as broken bones, cuncussions, death, or paralises. plus, that padding looks like it gets really hot and sweaty!

they leave blood on the ice

well, this is true sometimes, and its kinda gross, put its not a big deal ;)

so,

- do you think skating or hockey is harder?

- why do you think either hates eachother?

i dont hate either sport. i am a skater and i fully respect hockey. =) i personally think that either sport is only as hard as how much effort you put in to it. <3

• Favorite Answer

Both the sports are hard in their own way. I for one could not jump and twirl and the same time or whatever. And in hockey I can barely skate, but I'm fine with all the puck handling and shooting in floor hockey...

But I prefer soccer =P

I don't think they hate each other....in a movie there was like a girl hockey team and they did not like the figure skaters and called them "twirla girls" because they were like girls can do more than dress in skimpy dresses and do fancy moves.lol

im not sure which movie it was, it was like figure out or something

Hockey is harder, faster, and very entertaining to watch for just about anybody. There's everything you want going on. There's hitting, fights, goals, and always plenty of shots/good saves. The action never stops.

They probably hate each other for their complete differences. Figure skating isn't hardcore at all. You can only fall. It's not like another figure skating team can come out and check you to screw up your routine (although that is a good idea.) Hockey is also very tiring. It seems that figure skaters are not out of breath by the end of their routine, although I could be wrong.

Source(s): I watched the olympics, figure and hockey!

Okay I'm a hockey player.....

Hockey is definitely a lot harder. And you need more skill for it.

I know that hockey players dont hate skaters.

To be honest, no one has anything against them as people.... it's just the "figure skating".

i really hates the holes in the ice. It comes from their tow picks and it causes players to "catch and edge".

LOL! Do you think just because we have, what you call padding, it doesnt hurt...

We dont have padding we have PROTECTIVE GEAR from the PUCK not the ice or players.

It hurts EVERY TIME you fall.... Ice skating there is NO ONE coming at you at 15-20 MPH trying to check you into the boards.

I'll leave you with a quote

"Is hockey hard? "I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner, and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us, oh yeah did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick? Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

-Brendan Shanahan

Well it is obvious that both hate eachother, I don't especially because i am a girl playing hockey and a lot of my friends are just as girly or less girly or even are figure skaters! I think each sport is difficult in it's own way with hockey you have to be tough and always keep your head on a swivel and with figure skating you have to have precision and grace. I think athletes from each sport don't hate the other sport as much as they hate the stereo typical attitude of the athletes from the other sport. The thing that gets me is the padding issue: We have padding and are still as tough as figure skaters because our game is more brutal even with padding, figure skaters aren't supposed to fall even though most do and its not a bad thing. In hockey it's supposed to be a physical game thats why padding is required, not to mention we are often standing in front of or in the way of a hard 6 oz puck. I think that both sports are good sports and I respect figure skaters just as much as i love the sport of hockey. Neither is harder than the other and i think you made some good points.

Hockey players don't hate figure skaters at my rink. Personally, i think figure skating is a LOT harder. And yeah, it hurts just as much. Sure, hockey players get 'checked' into the boards, but figure skaters can a) collide in synchro and get crushed b) get concussions from bad falls c) land on their tailbones. I think that any skating rascism should just be put to a stop. We all share the same ice so we have to accept it.

P.S. yes, we do get out of breath :) and yes, i can do a biellman.

I never met a figure skater that I didn't like - especially when they can do that move where she holds her skate behind her head with both hands.....

I actually think skating is just as hard if not harder, I think that its hard to handle the puck and get hit into the boards on a daily basis, but I'd like to see any of these people go do a triple axle, it requires both artistry and athleticism so I think both are equally hard sports to play

• Snid

I think some people make it too personal. In smaller towns I think it is the competition for ice time.