Is 6 classes a little to much to handle for college?

Alright, this is community college first of all and I want to get out ASAP so I can transfer to a UC already! :D

Kayyy,

I need 60 units, and I'm trying to get it done in 2 years.

So I'm trying to do at LEAST 15 this semester and 15 next.

and do the same for next year.

I don't want to be short at all and be rushing around in the end.

I'd rather work really hard in the beginning and then be able to take a 'break' towards the end and take fewer classes..

Art Orientation ONLINE = 3 units

Intercultural Communitcation Tuesdays and Thursdays 12:30pm-1:45pm = 3 units

Composition & Reading Mondays and Wednesdays 7:30am-9:15am = 4 units

U.S History ONLINE = 3 units

Spanish 101 Mondays and Wednesdays 9:30am-11:15am = 4 units

Then I just added an online class that is 1 unit, I thought it looked and sounded easy. It's Intro to career planning and it is only ONE unit....should I take it ? Or not?

It makes it all add up to 18 units for this semester so next semester I would only need 12.

good or not?

UCs require 60 "UC-transferable semester units." Something like Intro to Career Planning is probably not UC-transferable, so that is just a waste of your time (unless you think you will benefit from what you learn in the class). Make sure you read the schedule of classes carefully and pick classes that are marked "UC-transferable." You should also meet with your CCC counselor or visit your CCC transfer center to get help on enrolling in the right classes for UC transfer.

Remember that all UCs, except Berkeley and UCLA, have Transfer Admission Guarantee with all California community colleges. For general TAG information, see http://uctransfer.universityofcalifornia.edu/pdf/t... I have a list of links to campus-specific TAG guidelines at http://www.askmssun.com/cc-admission.htm#tag

Source(s): I am a college admissions consultant specializing in the top UCs. I received my BA from Berkeley and I was in a PhD program at UCLA. Aside from advising students, I volunteer with Berkeley and UCLA on high school admissions outreach (I attend college fairs to promote the schools). I also volunteer with the alumni associations from both campuses in the Alumni Scholarship application and interview processes in the Los Angeles area. You may contact me if you need help planning your academic curriculum, choosing extracurricular activities, writing your personal statement, or applying for scholarships: http://AskMsSun.com/

My best advise I can give you is to go see a counselor at the school and schedule an Student Eduction Plan (SEP). They will talk about what goals you have and what you need to get there. She will map out every class to take for the next 2 years. It important if you want to get out in 2 years to only take classes that you NEED to graduate. It's not just 60 random units, they need to be specific classes! and that career planning one I doubt is transferable, so it will be a waste of your time and sanity. As far as how many units is too many...will you be working? how were your grades in high school? are you living at home or on your own?

I was living on my own, working to support myself and tried taking 15+ units...it was a disaster! I was so stresses and couldn't balance it all and ended up failing most of my classes. Now I moved back home so with that stress relieved as well as having a better understanding of what i can handle and how to manage my time, i'm working full time and taking 17 units and doing just fine. I'm always busy but i'm not going insane like i was when i first started my college career. And what the other person said about online classes is true, they are more work.

A college student to be considered full time status must be taking 12 credits. 18 credits is usually the maximum allowed by most institutions without requiring a dean's waiver to take more than approved. I did a couple of semesters with 18 credits just fine, and did 1 semester with 21 credits (with a waiver) - but it was doable.

i'm in college right now, community college, and i have a 3.5, on the dean's list, and the phi theta kappa, so you can base this off my experience.

I hope you know that online classes are torture.

for this very reason, i've never taken them.

people will tell you all about it. yeah, that sounds exciting but its HARDER than regular class. You have to do much more work and writing to make up for the lack of class time. therefore you're doing more work than if you actually attended the class.

from my smartest and hard working friends to the ones who dont do much work, they all say its busy busy busy. way harder work to do. i mean more tedious and longer. more reading. i mean i'd say it wasnt worth it.

okay so i took us history first semester too but not online. it was 3 units i think as well. i got an A, but the teacher was nice too but yeah there was actually information you had to learn but lecture gave me a lot of it so i could be lenient on the readings..you wont be able to taking that online it's going to actually be hard work.

that amount of credit could be manageable if you were taking them in a physical class setting. but since you're not, you may just struggle.

i believe i took 14-15 credits my first semester? i took science, history, english, a 1 unit class.. that's all i remember sorry memory is fading! but yeah it's definitely manageable. however, 18?! that's a whole lot. some ppl arent even allowed to take that many- post secondary students, for instance.

honestly, you'll graduate within 2 years without needing to pile up on everything. seriously just chart out the classes you need for the full 2 years and you're gonna graduate on time. dont try to choke in all those classes and think you're being smart. it can be actually very dumb if you're sacrificing doing good work since you tried to cram everything in.

i'd suggest you take all physical in-class courses, some required ones to get them out of the way, plus like that easy lower credit one.

i mean seriously you dont need to choke yourself out trying to load all those classes in. even out your load. or else you might just topple over.

so try to sort through all my rambling and good blessings!

If you're like me, and you actually have to work and put yourself through college, you'll never survive.