Isn't it interesting how the word "politics" is made up of the words "poli" meaning "many" in Latin,..........?

Isn't it interesting how the word "politics" is made up of the words "poli" meaning "many" in Latin, and "tics" as in "bloodsucking creatures"?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Favourite answer

Veers,

You are right.

99.999 % of the Politicians all over the world

are blood sucking creatures !

They have made

'Govt'

a 'four-letter word' !

Yet,

It's a tragedy

people are too willing

to fall for their Poly-tricks !

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 decade ago

well, breaking up a word into parts isnt always the best way to understand it's roots. try this:

The word "politics" comes from the Greek word "Πολιτικά" (politika), modeled on Aristotle's "affairs of state", the name of his book on governing and governments, which was rendered in English mid-15 century as Latinized "Polettiques".[4] Thus it became "politics" in Middle English c. 1520s (see the Concise Oxford Dictionary). The singular "politic" first coined in English 1430 and comes from Middle French "politique", in turn from Latin "politicus",[5] which is the romanization of the Greek "πολιτικός" (politikos), meaning amongst others "of, for, or relating to citizens", "civil", "civic", "belonging to the state", [6] in turn from "πολίτης" (polites), "citizen"[7] and that from "πόλις" (polis), "city".[8]

it's like saying the bible is actually referring to 2 balls.. >_>

but yeah i get what you're saying haha. politics is messy and full of deception.

• 7 years ago

The word has latin origins. The root word "poli" means city. While the suffix, "-ic", is used to form adjectives from nouns with the meaning "of or pertaining to." So the word, "politic" , means "of or pertaining to the city."

Source(s): Studied Latin in college.
  • aida
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

No. "Multi" is the Latin word for "many." "Poly" (note the y, not i) is the GREEK word for "many," as in "Polynesia"--"many islands." "Polis" is the Greek word for a city-state, and all words derived from that one have the stem "polit-." But you can have fun making up other puns involving words ending in "-tics."

Source(s): Majored in Latin and had five semesters of Greek.
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I am sure you meant this as a joke, and it's a fairly good one when you say it aloud (because of course the spelling doesn't match) - just change it to say "poly" means "many" in Greek.

• manny
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

he he yes it is funny. I noted that you said the word is 'made up' of poli+tics and not 'stems' from anything. Good one. I like it and I'm definitely going to use it soon. star for you :)

• 5 years ago

Just goes to show that if you know Latin, you know a lot, but if you know Ancient Greek, you know everything.

And BTW, Latin study (and speaking) is booming in the U.S.!

• 1 decade ago

"Politics " ha(ve)s come to infest and infect the bodies of the citizens and has paralyzed the face of the Nation. .

(Tic is a severe form of facial paralysis )

• 1 decade ago

it should be poli-tricks

can play tricks with many at a time.

they are worst then blood sucking creatures,bcz the creatures will leave after satisfying their appetite,

but these CREATURES,,,,omg, will keep on sucking till ur entire life.

• 1 decade ago

there are many (poli ) politicians who are all well versed in many trics (tics ) to cheat and cover the people to their side .

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.