Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

What is the most athiestic country is Europe?

For atheist: France (even though it's practiculally becoming a Muslim country), Italy (particularly with the whole crucifix removal thing that happened a while back), Spain (legalized homosexuality, Italy is definitely going to be next), Greece, Switzerland, Denmark, Scandinavian countries, and the Czech Republic. Religious attendence in those countries are virtually non existant. They are probably Europe's most liberal countries as well.

For religious, in Western Europe, I have to go with the UK (in part because of Presbyterians who live in rural Scotland and Northern Ireland; England and Wales, I know, is like our [the USA's] Northeast, it's not really that religious with the exception of the conservative white British folks; and David Cameron talked exclusively about his Anglican faith and his friendship with Israel) & Ireland (which is Catholic); for Eastern Europe I have to go with Poland (which is Catholic), and for the Mediterean, I have to go with Malta (which is Catholic); I have to say these are Europe's most religious, even though they are NOT AS RELIGIOUS as the USA or Canada.

I say this because there was a controversy in the UK about something that apparently upset Chrisitans about two, three years ago.

If you're gonna be a jerk, or be stupid, don't answer this. I ask people about the UK, they get all uptight. Please give me kind answers. I want polite answer. Smartness please and intelligence. For those who are kind, thank you.

I know England and Wales are completely different from Scotland and Northern Ireland, so don't call me narrow-minded.

When I said that Spain legalized homosexuality, I meant HOMOSEXUAL MARRIAGE. In the UK, the most you can do is CIVIL UNIONS. Sorry for the wrong use of words.

Sjnoring Vjerilood

I do, because most people have a problem with giving me kind and courteous answers. They love to be mean to me.

Germany, Smarty, is kinda mix. There are religious people, but it's pretty athiest.

JULAAAY, you're ugly and your face gives me a headache, so go **** your mother, and stop posting before I have you blocked.

France is extremely atheist. But I have to say Italy beats France though, because they've already removed crucifixes in Italy.

Mother Superior

I will agree with you on England and Wales (except amongst the conservative English and Welsh people), but I think Scotland and Northern Ireland are very Protestant. The parts of the UK that give people the impression that the UK is religious.

Mother Superior,

I will say it like this. Scotland and Northern Ireland are kinda like the US regions of the South and Midwest. They are Protestant for the most part. And are likely to get the UK to side with Israel.

England and Wales (with the exception of the very conservative religious WASPy Anglican people [and the Catholics, if they are Irish]) tend to be more liberal, and not as religious, and will have sympathy for both the Palestinians and Israel, depending on who you talk to. It's kinda like our Northeast, but we are a bit more religious in comparison. Even though, you can say England and Wales were far more religious - Jewish/Catholic/Protestant - in 1989, and more supportive of Israel then, with the two Conservatives in power then.

Plus the UK and USA have very strong similarities. The USA is practically a carbon copy of the UK (except the USA has a Congress, while the UK is a constitutional monarchy with a Parliament).

Mother Superior.

You a man or women. Just curious. Either way, you're cool! And smart.

This is currently almost impossible to tell.

Most censuses do not list Atheist as a separate category so we cannot get a good count. Atheists are usually mixed in with other groups.

For example, Adherents.com list of "Major Religions of the World Ranked by Number of Adherents" lists Atheists with Secular, Nonreligious, and Agnostic. http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.ht...

With love in Christ.

As someone living in the UK I'm going to have to disagree with you there. The UK is an odd place. On first impressions it seems to be statistically Christian. However, spending time in the country you soon realize that no one actually gives a damn about religion apart from those running it.

The English like the idea of the queen and church system being in place on a historical level, but very few take religion seriously. You're hard pushed to find someone who takes the bible literally; religion here is practised in a very relaxed way. Even our priests have a relaxed attitude.

*edit*

I'll go along with that. Scotland has higher church attendance than England, so it only makes sense (although I hardly ever go up there, so I'm assuming the statistics reflect their attitude with religion). England is really next in-line to join the other “atheist countries” in the rest of the EU. There isn't much respect for religion left here; it's on it's way out in a rather rushed way.

*edit 2*

EU countries have had a more turbulent time with religion compared to America. I walk past monuments going to work where people were burnt at the stake by the church. Hell, I have people in my family tree who were killed by the church! The consequences of religion going wrong is in the back of peoples minds all the time. I think it's why we are relaxed about it in the first place, and why we're in the group of countries that are walking away from it.

You're question is worded in such a way that you might not get the answer you want. Atheism is a strong word. Take secular Jews for example, they like the traditions of Judaism and whatnot and they don't technically identify as atheistic, but for all intensive purposes they are not really different than an atheist.. I think you are probably really more interested in the most secular country, which I think would be England since they are the ones who removed the Catholic Church and replaced it with a secularized form 500 years ago.

Source(s): I'm a sedevacantist. http://www.mostholyfamilymonastery.com

Czech Republic is the most atheistic in my opinion.

Catholicism never recovered popularity after the Hussite wars and Christianity suffered from the communist era...

I will hazard an educated guess at Sweden. If i can remember, i read somewhere that it's

around 90% atheistic.

Dear God, Wales is freegin beautiful.

But, Switzerland..

this is yahoo answer's man people are gonna troll your question no matter what, and when you say don't be stupid or be a jerk you are encouraging the troll's.

Source(s): Strollin Troll

Germany is still really religious, unfortunately.