Why can i move my ring finger and middle finger independently?

I recently learned that hand's have no muscle in them, it is simply tendon controlled by muscle in the forearm. However, i also recently learned that the ring finger and middle finger share a tendon (which is why, if u put your hands flat on the desk in a spider effect with your middle finger tucked in, you can't move you're ring finger) so why can i move them independently when the middle finger isn't tucked in, because why would it matter if they share a same tendon?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • BP
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Best answer

There are muscles in the hands:

The movements of the human hand are accomplished by two sets of each of these tissues. They can be subdivided into two groups: the extrinsic and intrinsic muscle groups. The extrinsic muscle groups are the long flexors and extensors. They are called extrinsic because the muscle belly is located on the forearm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand

• 9 years ago

because when the middle finger is tucked in the tendon is really stretched and doesn't allow for any other movement of the ring finger. When the middle finger is not tucked in the tendon is much more relaxed and just the movement of each independent finger does not pull the tendon enough to affect the other finger.

~~~?!?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.