can you drive a car without turbo?

Hi,I bought VW golf recently. Turbo is not working. It lacks power but drives. Can i keep driving it or should repair, thanks

I would say that you would need to change the exhaust manifold as the turbo is on there. If you remove it, you'd need a non-turbo.. well.. header. As it stands, I would recommend going to a junkyard for a replacement turbo if you are mechanically inclined. As it stands, the exhaust is still going to the turbo to spool it up but... is it seized? Are you not getting pressure?

No u should not drive with a blown turbo, u will cause more damage to ur engine. and NO NO NO , u can not just take the turbo off and run it with not turbo, it doesn't work that way. it would cost you more money to make that car an NA car than it would to just replace the turbo.

• LeAnne

An estimate for the cost of repairing the turbo verses driving it naturally aspirated would be the determining factors for me.

Yes, you can drive it with the turbo or without the turbo - the level of performance will be the difference.

no not a good idea. Oil from the turbo will fill up and destroy the inter cooler and the engine will clog and choke up from all the oil entering it and will cost even more to get all turbo pipes and inter cooler cleaned and de greased.

• Paul

"Not a Very Good Idea!" Load the Cylinders with Oil from the Bad Turbo, Destroy you Mileage, Etc.

Source(s): 38 Years Exp.

The thing is on the car for a reason. You are probably blowing smoke (burning oil) like gangbusters out your exhaust. Right? If that is the case, you are burning your engine oil so keep it checked.