Seniors: Have you ever fixed your computer yourself?

I recently had a barrage of malware & other virus "worms" from a company trying to extort $ from me to fix my security problems on my computer. I also had a ton of porn & I don't log onto porn - so I knew the Defense Center people were part of this malware issue.

I tried everything that the "pros" told me to do & nothing would remove the Defense Center pop-ups & security virus threats. Then, I stumbled upon my F11 key when my fingers slipped & VOILA, I successfully fixed my computer & it's now running like the day I brought it home! I only lost a few downloaded pix from the internet. I only use this thing for emails & yahoo answers.

Has anyone else ever fixed their computer themselves & saved the $300+ that a "specialist" is charging these days?

I took a chance & it worked (this time).

Have you done anything like this before? How did it turn out?

It was strange that my F11 got me to a PC Angel restoration program & I had 2 options to choose from. I chose the first one that was destructive to any & all programs that were installed on my computer after purchasing. I don't think this would have been good if I had a lot of saved stuff on my PC.

It's all on Yahoo & that really saved my butt!

I now must enter & log onto Yahoo & sign in - but it's worth the extra time to know I'm free of that dreaded Malware!

• jonds
    Favorite Answer

I bought a Mac seven months ago and haven't had a single problem since.

F11 doesn't really do anything except remove the status bars top and bottom. I don't know how it could have gotten rid of your pop-ups, but more power to you, I guess. I have fixed some minor problems with the computer but would never touch the insides of it.

Aside - we had to send the laptop to HP when it crashed a few months ago. They had it picked up, fixed and shipped back at no charge within 5 days, but when it got back, my husband asked me why didn't they fix the keyboard? I didn't know what he meant. It turns out the N key markings have rubbed off, so the key is blank. I'd never noticed because I never look at the keyboard when I type and he does. He says it's been gone since about a week after we got it. LOL

• daisy

I always fix my own and have learned the hard way. I have also caused much of the problems myself, by going in and changing things. I have a very good virus protection program and anytime I suspect anything amiss, I run a full computer scan. Do a disk cleanup, disk defrag. and a system restore.

I also can email my IP provider, my phone company, with any question or problem and they will tell me step by step how to fix it. I just had to with a browser block. They are wonderful.

My husband is the brains in this outfit.

He has worked out several problems with our computers.It has been very frustrating for him though.

He has figured it out by himself without any help. Put on Norton 360 after we had a virus, so far so good.

Have to be very careful opening up mail from strange sources.

I don't know to fix my computer, but I got someone else to fix it for me.

They plugged in their memory stick, I am not sure what happened, but their name is now on my computer as the main administrator and I cant take it off. I did call in a tech man and he said he had never come accross anything like that before, he couldn't get it off either.

Yes, but I never really got into it. I liked programing more. I was more of a software person. Now my son is both a software and a hardware expert

Yes, I got my first computer in 1998, and have learned to reformat, clean up viruses. I have installed usb2 ports, cleaned the fans, installed my own memory and put in new hard drives. What ever has to be done, I do or learn to do. My husband will not learn.

Yes I have and I can't imagine what you fixed with the F11 key as its sole function is to give you full screen mode.

I have tried on occasions too fix the computer myself but it ends up costing me twice as much because they first have too fix what was wrong and then fix up what i stuffed up while trying too fix things.

What OS do you have and what version? Is PC Angel a system app