Seniors: Have you ever fixed your computer yourself?

I recently had a barrage of malware & other virus "worms" from a company trying to extort $ from me to fix my security problems on my computer. I also had a ton of porn & I don't log onto porn - so I knew the Defense Center people were part of this malware issue. I tried everything that the... show more I recently had a barrage of malware & other virus "worms" from a company trying to extort $ from me to fix my security problems on my computer. I also had a ton of porn & I don't log onto porn - so I knew the Defense Center people were part of this malware issue.

I tried everything that the "pros" told me to do & nothing would remove the Defense Center pop-ups & security virus threats. Then, I stumbled upon my F11 key when my fingers slipped & VOILA, I successfully fixed my computer & it's now running like the day I brought it home! I only lost a few downloaded pix from the internet. I only use this thing for emails & yahoo answers.

Has anyone else ever fixed their computer themselves & saved the $300+ that a "specialist" is charging these days?
I took a chance & it worked (this time).

Have you done anything like this before? How did it turn out?
Update: It was strange that my F11 got me to a PC Angel restoration program & I had 2 options to choose from. I chose the first one that was destructive to any & all programs that were installed on my computer after purchasing. I don't think this would have been good if I had a lot of saved stuff on my PC. ... show more It was strange that my F11 got me to a PC Angel restoration program & I had 2 options to choose from. I chose the first one that was destructive to any & all programs that were installed on my computer after purchasing. I don't think this would have been good if I had a lot of saved stuff on my PC.

It's all on Yahoo & that really saved my butt!

I now must enter & log onto Yahoo & sign in - but it's worth the extra time to know I'm free of that dreaded Malware!