Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 1 decade ago

Would you name your child the full version of a name or the short version?

Examples:

Samuel/Samantha or Sam

Tobias or Toby

Matthew or Matt

Maxwell or Max

Danielle or Dani

Kassandra or Kassey

Jennifer or Jenny

Alexandra/Alexander or Alex

Aurora or Rory

Jessica or Jess

Etc.

Would you name your child the full or short version and why?

@Maragret Bethlims

Well I'm a girl and my name is just Rory so I like that better than Aurora but I think for names like Danielle, Samuel they sound better as full names because then you can shorten them to Dani and Sam for nicknames.

Samuel/Samantha

Tobias

Matthew

Maxwell

Danielle

Kassandra

Jennifer

Alexander/Alexandra

Aurora

Jessica

It gives the child more of an option that way. I knew Jennifers who insisted on only being called Jen, but others who only answered to Jennifer. A girl named Elizabeth can be Elizabeth, Eliza, Elle, Ellie, Liz, Lizzie, Liza, Beth, Betty, Libby, etc, but Libby can only be Libby. It lets the child choose what they want to be known as, either the full version or a nickname. In some cases, it could even allow someone to have 2 names. For instance, a business woman named Madelyn may want to be called Madelyn at the office because it's more professional, but Maddie by her friends and family. So I think it's more beneficial for a child to be given a longer name that can be shortened. And it could also be beneficial for the parents because if the child is usually called by a nickname at home, when Missy is called Melissa, she knows she's in trouble :p. So I just prefer longer names because they leave more options.

Source(s): My name's Brianne and some people call me Bri and I don't mind that, but I wouldn't want to be just Bri. I answer to either name and I like that other people have the option of which they want to call me.

I am not a fan of shortened forms of names unless they are nicknames. I feel that way people have more options when it comes to what they prefer to be called. I also like using my full name (Gillian) for professional purposes, whereas my family and close friends call me by a nickname (Jill). It also made my life a lot easier in school. Because my full name is so close to Gilligan and Gilligan's Island was still on in re-runs when I was little, I was teased A LOT as a kid. After dealing with it for a couple years, my parents alerted the school that I went by Jill at home and suddenly the teasing stopped! My nickname saved me from quite a bit of trouble. Now I embrace my full name, but as I said, my close friends and family still call me Jill.

I always thought Rory was a full name and it wasn't until I was substitute teaching this year that I met a girl in kindergarten named Aurora who went by Rory. I also know a boy named Ruairi, pronounced pretty much the same way, but is a more traditional Irish full name (they Americanized the pronunciation, even though the mom is from Ireland). The whole nickname Rory is a fairly new idea I think. I had always thought (until this year) it was a full name.

It depends on the name.

Samuel/Samantha or Sam - I would give the full name & shorten it.

Tobias or Toby - I would give the full name because I don't like Toby.

Matthew or Matt - Either.

Maxwell or Max - Either.

Danielle or Dani - Either.

Kassandra or Kassey - Either.

Jennifer or Jenny - Either.

Alexandra/Alexander or Alex - Either.

Aurora or Rory - I would give Aurora but I wouldn't shorten it.

Jessica or Jess - I would give the full name but I wouldn't shorten it.

I would always go with the full version, as this gives the child the option to use either version later in life. For instance if your child is named Billy and grows up to be a doctor or magistrate, the name Billy would sound ridicules, whereas William would be far more fitting.

Samantha

Toby

Matthew

Maxwell

Danielle

Kassandra

Jenny

Alexandra/Alexander

Aurora

Jess

I would name my child the full version of a name so they can choose what to go by when they get older. Unless the long version of a name is terrible with my last name then I would use the short version.

The full version.. i think it's just so much more classier. I know this one guy, and his name is Jon Harry. Don't you think Jonathan Harold sounds so much more better?

But some names, like Rory or Toby, can be used as a full name, it's not always the short version.

:)) what do you prefer?

Samuel/Samantha

Tobias

Matt

Max

Danielle

Kassey

Jennifer

Alex

Aurora

Jess

I prefer all the full versions. I've never really been a fan of nicknames as first names. It just sounds better.

• Definitely full names. I agree with αldnhα- αïɾρlαṉεṡ (1 more day!)

Also I wouldn't call a girl Rory. Rory is a masculine boys name. I wouldn't even nickname a girl Rory - http://www.behindthename.com/name/rory - Masculine!

• Jay

Full version on everything.

Because Sam, Matt and Alex aren't names in my opinion, they're nicknames.