Do potential employers call previous employers' HR for job reference check? URGENT?

When you go to job interviews, would your potential employers call your previous employers' HR dept to do a verification on your employment history? I am going to be interviewing with a big company, and I'm sure they will do a reference check. I am required to give 3 referees from my previous employers, and besides those 3 referees, would they still call my previous companies' HR department?

On the application, it says "I hereby give consent to xxxx to contact the above referees and my previous employers for collection/verification of my employment-related info..."

So does that mean they will find out my company's contact info and then call their HR? Or they are only allowed to call the referees that I provide?

Note - I'm currently not in the US, so I'm not sure how this is going to be processed.

I mean I worked in the US, and just had one job here in Asia, so I don't know how they are going to verify.

• michr

they can contact anyone they deem necessary BUT many companies ONLY allow HR to deal with references

SO

most likely regardless of who you used as a contact person for the previous employer HR are the ones who are going to be contacted...

I hereby give consent to xxxx to contact the above referees AND my previous employers for collection/verification of my employment-related info

The statement above means that they have your permission to contact BOTH your reference contact AND anyone else in that company that they want to.

That doesn't mean they definitely will, but they can, and since it only takes a few minutes and a phone call, no reason at all for them not to do so.

• Judy

Pretty likely that they'll call. It depends on the employer though.

In the USA, they will almost certainly call your past employers.

Source(s): http://www.bing.com/search?q=what things can an employer ask an applicants previous employers?