? asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

What is the average words per chapter in a young adult book? Pages per book?

I know that it really doesn't matter as long as your descriptive and feel its thorough. However I really don't want to feel like I'm just lingering on one subject or that I'm just speeding through it so fast. Trust me I've heard the all 'it doesn't matter as long as you describe it well' but I just want a few basic guide lines.

• Mick

10 TO 12 PAGES

or just think of the chapters like episodes on a tv show.

Check out this site:

http://www.guidetoliteraryagents.com/blog/Word+Cou...

It tells you the word count recommended for each genre, such as fantasy, childrens books, romance etc.

Here's what it says about young adult fiction:

YOUNG ADULT

Perhaps more than any other, YA is the one category where word count is very flexible.

For starters, 55,000 - 69,999 is a great range.

The word round the agent blogosphere is that these books tend to trending longer, saying that you can top in the 80Ks. However, this progression is still in motion and, personally, I'm not sure about this. I would say you're playing with fire the higher you go. When it gets into the 70s, you may be all right—but you have to have a reason for going that high. Again, higher word counts usually mean that the writer does not know how to edit themselves.

A good reason to have a longer YA novel that tops out at the high end of the scale is if it's science fiction or fantasy. Once again, these categories are expected to be a little longer because of the world-building.

Concerning the low end, below 55K could be all right but I wouldn't drop much below about 47K.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, just use this and divide it by how many chapters you expect to have. For example, 60 000 words is a good size, and most novels have about 20 chapters, so 3000 a chapter. But it isn't the chapter size that matters, it's the overall size of the book.

Happy writing.

Novels start at 40,000 or 50,000 words. I go with 50,000, which would be a short YA novel. 80,000 is usually about the longest it will get, but there are exceptions. The chapter length is however long you want it to be. There aren't any rules.

And for writing descriptions - make sure they're as concise as possible, but still give important details. Mention anything unusual. Metaphors are great.

normally i watch a whole lot of television but i really do love a good booklet if i enter the e book i wont said down and i love that i get to use my thoughts so much more than with a tv

As far as books which have movies, the literature aren't limited to a set timeframe and therefore can get into much more depth then a feature period movie could. Sometimes movies wrap up very different from the book

i replaced into questioning 1500 could be stable in case you write your tale genuine and cleanly to get human beings to learn the e book. even with the undeniable fact that the ideal is between 3k to 7k words possibly somewhat extra desirable yet no extra desirable effectual than 8.5k else it ought to substitute into tiring to learn.