promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Scott
Lv 7
Scott asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

Do you think the NHL should have some teams in Europe?

i say No because of the travel and the distance

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

It would be too hard to do. European teams couldn't get veteran North Americans to sign and the travel would be very difficult for any team to make more than once in a season. The only way it would work would be if a whole conference was in europe but then the North American conference would dominate because all of the North Americans would want to play their for the most part and a lot of european players would be fine with playing there as well.

I think the NHL should do a champions league type thing like they do in soccer eventually. Maybe they shorten the NHL regular season eventually and after the stanley cup winner is decided play a champions league with top 4 teams from each league including all of the elite leagues. For the most part the NHL would dominate with the exception of a few KHL victories but it would still be a pretty cool thing to do and they could do that in place of the world championships and they could not do that in olympic years.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Well, only if the European teams were a part of a stand-alone league such as the setup that MLB employs. Perhaps there could be an instance or two during the regular season where interleague play would occur. I wouldn't want to figure out the logistics but I'm sure if millions could be made, someone will ideate a workable plan.

• 1 decade ago

According to Gary Bettman, the NHL should only have teams in the US.

• 1 decade ago

for those who say distanceplease verify the facts: which one's closer, a flight New-York/Paris or a Flight LA/Montreal..

but no, I dont think the NHL/Europe are ready for one another

EDIT: @: lobster6 : that would actually a good idea, Europe Super League (NHL Europe) vs NHL in playoffs East vs. west ;)

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, but only if they have terribly stereotypical names such as:

the Manchester Paddy Wagons

the Berlin Weinerschnitzels

the Moscow Mafia

etc...

• 1 decade ago

agreed. absolutely not. them damn europeans can stay on their own continent and wait for the chance to play americans and canadiens in the olympics every 4 years

• CM
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

No

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.