? asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesNissan · 10 years ago

Would it be wise to buy a 1999 Nissan Maxima with 197,000 miles on it?

I'm currently in the process of looking for another car. About a month ago I was in a car accident. A gentlemen backed his '06 Ford Escape into my '97 Honda Accord and totaled it, so now I have to purchase another car. I came across a 1999 Nissan Maxima for $2,495 with exactly 197,573 miles on the engine. The price is right but that's A LOT of mileage. I'm a college student that works at the grocery store, so it's not like I'm rolling in money here. I just want something reliable that will get me to work and school everyday for the next couple of years or so (like I'm sure my Accord would have done). Would it be wise to purchase it despite the high mileage? Or should I just move on and try to find something else? How much longer would this car last? Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :-)

I want to thank everyone for their advice/input. I really do appreciate it. :-) I think I might leave this car alone and keep looking.

• Ron B
    Favorite Answer

Too many miles, pass on it...If you can be patient you can find a similarly priced car with maybe half the miles ( or at least closer to 100K). They were averaging about 16K per year, hopefully you can find one with a 10 to 12K average. Needless to say stick with Honda, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota if you can, for that year of vehicle.

Source(s): Consult for a number of Nissan stores.
  • Judith

That's indeed a load of miles. Has the engine been rebuilt in it's lifetime? Is it maybe the same motor out of a different Maxima? The odometer will read what the chassis of the car has on it, not necessarily the motor as well. Get the maintenance records because even it's been rebuilt what about the oil pump, starter, seals, alternator, pumps, etc? I HIGHLY suggest at least doing a compression test on the motor before anything. Ask someone at Autozone or O"Really's what the factory compression is supposed to be i.e. something like 160psi per cylinder or whatever, and only vary a few psi between cylinders at that. Get someone to do a comp. test, it's not difficult at all, just pull spark plug, screw the fitting into plug hole and turn motor over a few times and the gauge will jump to the pressure of that cylinder, something like that. Off to bed _-_zzz

• tricky

My old Maxima had high mileage and still ran like new my old Bluebird had nearly 300,000 miles and still ran like new and i sold it still running like new ,my bro's s13 sx has high mileage and still runs fine and once saw a maxima running as a taxi at 400,000 miles so looked after etc Nissan cars do run to high mileage iam sure other brands do also i def would not say all.

Get something honda. Such as an Acura CL or RL. Might be a little older but should have less miles and be more reliable for around the same cost (2500).

I'm in a similar situation. For that price you can probably get a 2000-something or nother. Look in the classifies and I been looking on Craigslist for me a car, but sometimes the ads on there are irritating because they leave no number or email but they have some good prices.

The short answer here is really that depends on the cars condition and your personal preference. You should ask the owner for a test drive before making your purchase also ask if he had any prior problems with the car.

I would have someone check it out to see if it runs ok. The mileage doesnt matter as long as its kept up. If your not happy with the mileage maybe you can find some thing else thats a better deal.

i know the money is right for you but theres no way i would buy a car with that amount of milage on it might be cheap but itll cost u big time in the long run keep on looking take my advice!!!!

No, buy any car with that many miles on it is not wise. You will spend to much on repairs. Keep searching.

For that price you should get something new and nicer with less miles. Or at least less miles! :)