How much does a "wet nurse" or someone who sells their breast milk make?

I am just curious if anyone has this arrangement with another family and what to expect monetarily? I do not want to nurse the baby itself- just provide excess breast milk and be compensated for my time... thanks for your help :)

• Minnow

It's illegal to sell breastmilk. At least in the United States. Since certain diseases and problems could occur in the transfer of the breastmilk, breastmilk is regulated. So if you go ahead with this plan then you will be doing it under the table, and no one really can tell you what they charge, etc.

Add: Of course breastmilk banks exist. They regulate the breastmilk, what can be found in them, what cannot be found in them. The requirements are typically very strict, they do a slow-pasteurization method, test for diseases, and test for a lot of other 'problems' in the milk that could hurt the babies. Most Milk banks are non-profit organizations, and the $2+an oz cost is to make up for all the regulations and testing that they have to do. The mothers typically get none of it in order to keep the costs down for the mothers who have to use the milk (typically they have to be given a prescription in order to even get the milk, the normal mother or infant isn't going to even be eligible to buy it, there are some milk banks that do allow others to buy though. It's more rare because there's such a demand for breastmilk and not much of a supply, so it gets triaged, given to the babies who need it most, like those with extreme allergies or those who are premature or very ill.)

Now the illegal question. I was under the impression that selling bodily fluids is illegal, whether it's blood or breastmilk. Donating it is legal. Selling it is not. But there's some question about whether it is or not, since breastmilk is 'milk' it should be regulated with cow and goat milk, but it isn't. Since it's body fluids, it should be regulated there, but there's question as to whether it is because it's also milk. I'm pretty sure in my state it's illegal.

• mingo

Wet Nurse Jobs

• Jill P

I don't know of any organizations that allow you to do this, but I do know that you can donate breast milk to mothers who aren't able to produce it or to babies who are in intensive care. When my first son passed away at 10 days old, I kept pumping rather than go cold turkey, and donated the milk.

If you wanted to make a private agreement with another family, it would be up to you and the other family to agree on a fee, but you would want to take into consideration your time (depending on how much time you spend each day nursing or pumping) as well as the cost of supplies (nursing bras, pads, pump, bottles, etc) and possibly even additional food or prenatal vitamins for you.

Hey,

In answer to your question, How much does a "wet nurse" or someone who sells their breast milk make?, I can tell you that may be this site can help you http://asknursingonline.com

As you asked; "I am just curious if anyone has this arrangement with another family and what to expect monetarily? I do not want to nurse the baby itself- just provide excess breast milk and be compensated for my time... thanks for your help :)" it may help you.

Good Luck :)

• Beth

This is very rare these days, so I have no idea what someone would charge. There are milk banks, where people donate excess breastmilk, but that's a little different. Milk banks and hospitals also require lots of screening and testing to make sure the milk is safe. You will just have to negotiate with the family involved - figure out what they are willing to pay and what you are willing to do it for.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): quot wet nurse quot sells breast milk make: https://biturl.im/zk108

You donate your milk to a milk bank. They're heavily regulated and ensure the health and safety of the babies that use them. Milk banks pay for your blood testing prior to getting approved. They also pay for the storage containers and shipping.

Nobody in their right mind would buy milk from a stranger these days. That's just plain gross. You never know what medications that mother is taking that could be passed on to your child, and you never know what diseases she has. Ick.

hmbana.org is where you go if you want to donate your milk.

There is this thing called "breast milk banks" where people donate breast milk. i looked into it a couple years ago, and its about $2 an oz.

and you have to be tested for diseases just like a blood bank.

but I'm not sure about a wet nurse.

and its NOT illegal in the US. where as there is one in Portland Oregon close to where i live.

• :)

I'd want to be paid as much as formula would cost. You'd need to purchase a good quality (I suggest Medela) pump. It's a good idea overall.

tree fitty