JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES: i just had one of you come to my door?
and leave a paper. as a Christian myself, i was just curious about a couple things and hope you can SERIOUSLY answer these ?'s for me. 1) do you know any one who saw Jesus in 1914 when (your religion says) he appeared to your organization? 2) do you think YOU are one of the 144,000 people that will be "admitted" into heaven? if so, why? if not, why not? 3) who is the "prophet" that speaks for God now, (as 1975 Armageddon didn't occur, nor 1976 or 1977) and when do they claim Armegeddon is now? Thank you for your time:)
- Actor ManLv 41 decade agoFavourite answer
1) None of our current literature says "We saw Jesus in 1914." By using Bible chronology to determine a mathematical formula, we've been able to discern that Jesus was enthroned in the heavens in 1914. We believe that he is now in preparation for the cleansing of the earth of wickedness with the other kings, judges and priests mentioned in Revelation. We used the exact same chronology that the religious leaders of Jesus' time used to determine the arrival of the Messiah (when they approached John the Baptist regarding his identity). No one questions their logic in knowing when the Messiah accurately would arrive, yet people question us all the time because we use the exact same scriptures in the book of Daniel to determine that 1914 was a marked year. Incidentally, it was just the Bible students that arrived at the date pre-1014... several non-Russell Bible students came to the same conclusion as far back as the 1840's.
2) No, I don't. Jesus said very clearly that the meek will inherit the EARTH... not heaven. If Jesus said, I believe it. Think about it. The Bible says that those born of spirit will enter into heaven. God's holy spirit is the exact same spirit that created the universe... would you think it reasonable that if you were to feel that spirit throughout your body for the rest of your life you'd know? There are no mistakes with Jehovah's spirit. And what some people may claim is holy spirit may simply be an over-active imagination or over-emotion. But those of the truly spirit-anointed that I've met show something different... a peace, a tranquility and understanding of scripture that goes far beyond simple in-depth study. There is something markedly different about them.
3) There is no prophet, and I've never heard that term used by anyone within the organization that claims the WTBS is a "prophet." I have heard countless statements to the contrary. The stance that I've always heard from the Society since my being baptized is that Jesus said "No man knows the day nor hour, not the son nor the angels... only God." That is the stance we currently have today.
Hope this info helps. Don't stand too hard on information that is decades old (the tired argument of 'failed prophecy' has been refuted time and again). After all, how well do you think you'd stand up to scrutiny if everyone held you to what you were doing 35 years ago? I know that if you're human, you'd fail every single time.
Heck, I don't even know if you were even alive then!
- 4 years ago
Jehovah's Witnesses do not condemn anyone, it's not our right to do that. We are not a cult that follows some man's thinking. We base our beliefs solely and firmly on God's Word the Bible and try to live according to the direction he provides through it. We believe Jesus is the son of God, not God himself. In fact, you won't find one scripture in the entire Bible where Jesus claims to be god. Jehovah God has authorized his son Jesus to be the judge over mankind, and since 1914 Jesus has been active as the King of God's Kingdom. 1914 is not a HOAX as you claim. it was a turning point in human history as many historians from different backgrounds will confirm. (not just Jehovah's Witnesses) 1914 was a year pointed to by Bible prophecy which any of Jehovah's Witnesses can explain to you if you ask them. The desire of Jehovah's Witnesses is not to condemn anyone, but rather we want the same thing as Jehovah God and Jesus Christ want, that no one is destroyed when God's day of judgement arrives. 2Peter 3:9
- 1 decade ago
So the answer to the question “who are the 144,000?” will depend on which interpretive approach you take to the book of Revelation. With the exception of the futurist approach, all of the other approaches interpret the 144,000 symbolically, as representative of the church and the number 144,000 being symbolic of the totality—i.e., the complete number—of the church. Yet when taken at face value: “Then I heard the number of those who were sealed: 144,000 from all the tribes of Israel” (Revelation 7:4), nothing in the passage leads to interpreting the 144,000 as anything but a literal number of Jews—12,000 taken from every tribe of the “sons of Israel.” The New Testament offers no clear cut text replacing Israel with the church.
Much of the confusion regarding the 144,000 is a result of the false doctrine of the Jehovah's Witnesses. The Jehovah’s Witnesses claim that 144,000 is a limit to the number of people who will reign with Christ in heaven and spend eternity with God. The 144,000 have what the Jehovah’s Witnesses call the heavenly hope. Those who are not among the 144,000 will enjoy what they call the earthly hope—a paradise on earth ruled by Christ and the 144,000. Clearly, we can see that Jehovah’s Witness teaching sets up a caste society in the afterlife with a ruling class (the 144,000) and those who are ruled. The Bible teaches no such “dual class” doctrine. It is true that according to Revelation 20:4 there will be people ruling in the millennium with Christ. These people will be comprised of the church (believers in Jesus Christ), Old Testament saints (believers who died before Christ’s first advent), and tribulation saints (those who accept Christ during the tribulation). Yet the Bible places no numerical limit on this group of people. Furthermore, the millennium is different from the eternal state, which will take place at the completion of the millennial period. At that time, God will dwell with us in the New Jerusalem. He will be our God and we will be His people (Revelation 21:3). The inheritance promised to us in Christ and sealed by the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 1:13-14) will become ours, and we will all be co-heirs with Christ (Romans 8:17).
- Suzette RLv 61 decade ago
My question for you is, if they were just at your door, why didn't you ask them these questions? They would have been happy to answer them for you. Maybe you want the haters on YA to come and spew their poison, maybe not.
1) Recall that Christ said no one would ever see him physically again. John 14:19: “A little longer and the world will behold me no more, but you [Jesus’ faithful apostles] will behold me, because I live and you will live.” (Jesus had promised his apostles that he would come again and take them to heaven to be with him. They could see him because they would be spirit creatures as he is. But the world would not see him again. Compare 1 Timothy 6:16.)
We DO NOT say he "appeared" to our organization. Where did you pick that up?
Rev. 1:7: “Look! He is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, and those who pierced him; and all the tribes of the earth will beat themselves in grief because of him.” (Also Matthew 24:30; Mark 13:26; Luke 21:27)
What is indicated by “clouds”? Invisibility. When an airplane is in a thick cloud or above the clouds, people on the ground usually cannot see it, although they may hear the roar of the engines. Jehovah told Moses: “I am coming to you in a dark cloud.” Moses did not see God, but that cloud indicated Jehovah’s invisible presence. (Ex. 19:9; see also Leviticus 16:2; Numbers 11:25.) If Christ were to appear visibly in the heavens, it is obvious that not “every eye” would see him. If he appeared over Australia, for example, he would not be visible in Europe, Africa, and the Americas, would he?
In what sense will ‘every eye see him’? They will discern from events on earth that he is invisibly present. Also referring to sight that is not physical, John 9:41 reports: “Jesus said to [the Pharisees]: ‘If you were blind, you would have no sin. But now you say, “We see.” Your sin remains.’” (Compare Romans 1:20.) Following Christ’s return, some persons show faith; they recognize the sign of his presence.
2) No, I am NOT one of the 144,000 with the Heavenly hope. I am one of Christ's 'other sheep', one with the hope of living forever on the paradise earth will become after Armageddon.
John 10:16: “I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; those also I must bring, and they will listen to my voice, and they will become one flock, one shepherd.” (Who are these “other sheep”? They are followers of the Fine Shepherd, Jesus Christ, but are not in the “new covenant” sheepfold, with hope of heavenly life. Yet they do come to be closely associated with those who are in that sheepfold.
Ps. 37:9, 11, 29: “Evildoers themselves will be cut off, but those hoping in Jehovah are the ones that will possess the earth . . . The meek ones themselves will possess the earth, and they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace. The righteous themselves will possess the earth, and they will reside forever upon it.”
3) I know people LOVE to talk about 75, the truth is, the Society NEVER stated that would be the year of Armageddon. What it did was mark 6000 years since the creation of Adam. It was saw as a noteworthy year and SOME took that and made up their own ideas. We DO NOT offer dates, we know that the Scripture and Christ Jesus was clear when he said...Mark 13:32, RS: “Of that day or that hour no ones knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.”
That answers your questions, you may not like or agree with the answers, but they are the truth.Source(s): One of Jehovah's Witnesses.
- What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
- Anonymous1 decade ago
Jesus in 1914 appeared to our organization?
We don't say that....One important prophecy was fulfilled that year....and was the institution as a King of Jesus Christ in heaven
- 1 decade ago
If that is true and you are a Christian yourself It begs the question How come you don't already know this lot are one of the Christian cults and act accordingly
I am Buddhist and I certainly know who the cults are within Buddhism
As a matter of interest Do you see the loving kindness flowing from the answer one of them has offered you So Christ like So God inspired duh
- PaulLv 71 decade ago
There's usually a phone number or contact details on the leaflet they left you, give them a call and arrange for them to come over for a chat, then you can talk directly to them.
- Richard MLv 71 decade ago
If you read the bible carefully, you will find that the 144,000 are all male Jews. No JW's.
- agapeLv 51 decade ago
Please know that this information is available to all men as it is from the BIBLE.....this is information that you can look up for yourself in your bible. Please look up the scriptures that I am going to leave for you......1914 was the year that Jesus became King of the Kingdom in heaven...this is the same kingdom that many are praying for in the lord's prayer...but many do not know it....the 144,000 from earth when they die are a part of this kingdom and will rule with Christ as kings and priests...in other words it is a heavenly government....now ruling
1914....There are two lines of evidence that point to 1914...bible chronology and the events since 1914 in fulfillment of prophecy....some prophecies in the bible have a double fulfillment one for the time it was fulfilled and one for a future time (namely our time we are living in now)
Read Daniel 4:1-17, verses20-37 this prophecy had a fulfillment upon Nebuchadnezzar. How do we know? Verses 3 and 17 shows that this dream deals with the Kingdom of God and his promise to give it to whom he wants. The entire bible shows Gos purpose is for his son to rule as His representative over mankind. (Ps 2:1-8,1 Corin. 15:23-25, Rev. 11:15, 12:10) This dream points to a time when God would give rulership over mankind to his own son. So what was to happen in the meantime? The tree and its root stock represents rulership over mankind and would have the heart of a beast. (Daniel 4:16) If you notice governments today have characteristics of wild beasts...Russia; the eagle, USA; the lion, Britain; the dragon, China. The bible uses wild beasts as symbols of world governments and human rulership under the influence of Satan (Dan 7:2-8, Rev 13: 1,2_) Jesus showed in his prophecy pointing to the conclusion of the system of things, Jerusalem would be trampled on by the nations, until the appointed times of the nations were fulfilled. Luke 21;24...Jerulsalem represented the kindom of God because its kings were said to sit on the throne of the kingship of Jehovah. 1 Chron 28:4,5, Matt 5:34,35 So the goverments, represented by the wild beasts, would "trample" on the right for God operate his own kingdom for mankind. (compare luke 4:5,6)
How long before such governments be permitted to exercise control before God would turn over the kingdom to his son?
Daniel 4:16 says seven times or (seven years) In the Bible when calculating prohetic time, a day is counted as a year see Ezek.4:6 Num. 14:33,34...Revelation 11:2,3 clearly states that 42 months (3 1/2 years) in that prophecy are counted as 1,260 days. so seven years would be twice that, or 2,520 days...applying a day for a year rule would result in 2,520 years.
When did the counting of the seven times begin?
After Zedekiah the last king was removed from the throne in Jerusalem by the Babylonians. Ezek. 21:25-27....by early OCTOBER 607 B.C.E. all Jewish kingship was gone. (Jeremiah chapter 40-43)
Reliable bible chronology indicates that this took place 70 years before 537 B.C.E., the year the Jews returned from captivity; it took place early October of 607 B.C.E. (Jer. 29:10; Dan.9:2
How then is time calculated to get to 1914?
count 2,520 years from early October 607 BCE and that brings us to early October 1914 C.E.
"seven times"=7x360=2,520 years
early october, 607 BCE to December 607BCE=1/4 year
january 606 BCE to december 1BCE (no zero year) =606 years
january 1 CE to december 1913= 1,913 years
january 1914 to early october 1914= 3/4 year FOR A TOTAL OF 2,520 YEARS!
What happened in that year? WW1 and Jesus became ruler of that heavenly kingdom mentioned in the lords prayer! Dan 7:13,14
Why so much wickedness? Still?
After christ was enthroned satan and his demons were hurled out of heaven and down to the earth (at that time they were allowed to go back and forth but no more) Rev. 12:12 Christ foretold that a global preaching work would be done (matt.24:14) and then the end will come...this is part of the last days
2) The bible clearly speaks of a great crowd which no man can number as living upon the ...earth...most of the 144,000 have been chosen and are usually up in age...the bible shows that Gods spirit lets them know that they are of that group....we have a desire to live here on earth...like looking forward to building our own home or garden and playing with animals etc.....those who are going to heaven do not have that disire it is different)
3) The bible clearly states that no one knows the date nor the hour....but we are given signs to know when it would be close Matt. 24.....we are close.......I do not know who put that date out there but many were disappointed I guess and left the truth when that did not happen but it was not a wise choice......it does not happen often but as time goes on and the light gets brighter and brighter we humbly accept the direction as we are imperfect humans but God through his holy spirit makes it clear
- 1 decade ago
Don't open the door for them. There's no true power of God in their lives. They have a form of religion but they deny the power thereof.