? asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Did any WW2 soldier, fight from start to end?

This question just popped into my head, some soldiers will have joined up, sent to normandy and got gunned down before even hitting the beach. Were there any 'rambo's' who just didn't die and fought through the entire war?

EDIT

Read it, i said 'some' soldiers got killed in normandy, not all. My question has nothing to do with normandy it's just a scenario.

What i am asking, the war began in 1939, did any soldiers survive in combat from 1939-1945 when it ended.

Favorite Answer

Many career military were already in before the war started, and were still in afterward.

Five Star Admiral Chester Nimitz entered the Navy in 1907, and didn't leave until 1947. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester_W._Nimitz

Dwight D. Eisenhower, a Five Star General, also had an active duty career nearly as long as Nimitz's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwight_D._Eisenhower

Omar Bradley, yet another Five Star General, served in the Army from 1915 until 1953. And yes, Bradley was the highest ranking American at the Normandy invasion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Bradley

Those are just three, out of thousands, who were in the military before WWII, and were still in after it ended. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Bradley

Thousands of British commonwealth troops fought from 1939 on.

There were British troops who fought in France and were evacuated from Dunkirik in 1940 who took part in the 1944 Normandy invasion and went on to fight until 1945.

Frankly anyone whose first action was Normandy had already missed most of the war.

It started in 1937 when Japan invaded China. For Europeans the war did not officially start until later. (1939) when Hitler attacked Poland. For Europeans WW2 ended on On 30 April 1945 when Berlin fell. For China and other Pacific Nations it ended on 15 August 1945

Yes. Thousands of soldiers served from the actual start of the war in 1939, not just from Normandy.

Yes. Thousands of soldiers survived the entire war.

I'm sure there have been some lucky guys that have.

If you are talking about American soldiers specifically (I'm assuming you are?), we didn't even get into the war until 1941 but I'm sure there were a lot that survived from then through the end in 1945.

Im not following. This question is basically saying that all those who stormed Normandy were killed. You realize that this is not the case?

Yes, in the US for sure. I found a newspaper dated December 9 1941 in my grandmother's stuff. On the front page was a story about men at the recruiting stations around the city. On a whim, I researched each name and found all in the SSDI. They all had died, presumably without their boots on, when they were in their 60s, 70s and 80s.

Yes.

For example, my father-in-law was in the Imperial Japanese Army. He went to the invasion of China in 1937 and lived through the war. One of his brothers also lived through the entire war.

I had some great-uncles from the US side of my family who also served through the entire war for the USA.

• Adolf Hitler was there from beginning to end. Maybe Audie Murphy for the American part of it.

• Of course.