Bob asked in SportsFootballFIFA World Cup (TM) · 1 decade ago

What is "Drawing of lots" in football?

I was looking at what team goes through if two teams finish on the same points, same goal difference etc in the group stage of the world cup and I found this on the fifa site -

According the Regulations of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™, the ranking of each team in each group will be determined as follows:

a) greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;

b) goal difference in all group matches;

c) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches.

If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings will be determined as follows:

d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;

e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;

f) greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;

g) drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee.

What does the final one mean?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

I am happy some fans are reading the rules. That's great to hear. I am proud of you. But there are many just blabber at YA without reasons. Anycase -

Drawing of lots - means - teams that are tied(3 or more) will have the country names placed in a bowl and randomly picked. The winner would be the one who name was picked. It could also mean it could be a coin toss - typically it happens when there are 2 teams in a tie.

I do not recall in the history of World Cup - drawing of lots has ever occurred. please correct me if I am wrong.

• haeder
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Drawing Lots

• 1 decade ago

"Drawing of Lots" has happened twice in World Cup history - once to determine which nation qualifies and once to determine final rankings of group play.

Basically, it is a random selection. It has been accomplished by a simple coin toss (2000 CONCACAF Gold Cup), but in previous World Cup occurrences, it was accomplished by drawing balls.

In 1954, Spain and Turkey each beat each other in qualifying. They played a third match at a neutral site (Rome), which ended in a draw. A local boy was asked to draw a ball out of a drum while blindfolded. The ball with Turkey's name was selected, so Turkey advanced to the World Cup.

In 1990, Ireland and Netherlands finished tied for #2/#3 in World Cup group play. They both tied all of their opponents and scored the same number of goals. After their last match of group play, Sepp Blatter (FIFA no. 2 man at the time) placed slips of paper with the two nations' names into two balls and placed them in one bowl. Two other balls were labeled #2 and #3 and placed in another bowl. A World Cup hostess then randomly selected a nations ball and a numbered ball to determine that Ireland would be the #2 team in the group and Netherlands would be #3. As the tournament was only 24 nations (6 groups) at that time, both teams advanced. However, due to the draw Ireland faced Romania (another 2nd place finisher) and defeated them to advance to the quarterfinals while Netherlands faced and lost to group winner West Germany who went on to win the cup.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

2-2 2 All 2 A piece Score draw

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It happened in the 1990 World Cup between the Netherlands and Ireland.

• 5 years ago

Understanding to really make the ideal picture is simple with Realistic Pencil Portrait Mastery from here https://tr.im/78l2U .

Christopher Sia may be the author of the Realistic Pencil Portrait Mastery Home Examine Course. He's a teacher and he taught countless pupils to pull pencil images from novice to advanced level and has served his pupils to accomplish their dreams of getting owners in pen face drawing.

Realistic Pencil Portrait Mastery focuses on three primary techniques. Christopher calls it the three strategies: you will have to grasp every individual facial function, small experience details are extremely important when producing a sensible portrait and a pencil portrait artist should really be very observant of the and you should train your eyes to see what the others merely do not see.

• danxp2
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It means a Lottery Drawing of some sort computerized or otherwise. Another way of drawing lots is drawing straws, whoever gets the shortest straw(s) is out.

• 4 years ago

Source(s): Portraits Techniques http://emuy.info/RealisticPencilPortrait/?KKxx
  • 6 years ago

In the case of AFCON what is the way forward now is it 1990 style or south africa 1996 one????.

• 1 decade ago

Basically it means they have to toss a coin.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.