Atheists, you are a witness of a crime. During the court hearing.?

Do you take oath with the Bible?

Or you will refrain from doing it just because you are Atheists?

Favorite Answer

In britain, you still have to swear on a religious text or you can affirm that you will tell the truth if you are an atheist.

They accommodate for all religions in Britain :P

There is no "oath with the Bible" - swearing on the Bible is not part of actual court procedure, it only occurs in television and movies. All that is actually required is for the witness to make an affirmation that they will tell the truth. This is true even of the presidential oath of office. Many presidents have placed their hand on a Bible during inauguration ceremonies but this is entirely at the choice and discretion of the president and has never been a requirement of law.

• B K

That's right - atheists aren't Christian. We don't swear oaths on any religious books, because we don't believe in gods, and we don't believe holy books are the words of gods.

To swear an oath on a Bible would be hypocritical would it not?

Edit: I'm British - and our courts still require an oath on the bible, unless you are a atheist or not Christian.

I don´t think we take oath with the Bible in Finnish courts. But if I was atheist, let´s say in Victorian England, yes I would do that, without any fuss, and then tell the truth.

Atheist.

• Mia

You don't have to swear on the Bible in court. You can make a secular affirmation to tell the truth as well. There are Christians who believe the Bible prohibits the swearing of such oaths as well.

I will not use the Bible and I will use the word "god". They will just have to accept the fact that I can be honest without putting my hand on a pile of paper. Its not just atheists by the way, there are religions that forbid the taking of an oath in god's name.

Last time I gave evidence I swore and oath on the bible.

It did not hold any significance for me other than saying I would tell the truth.

I could have affirmed in a secular manner but that would have delayed the proceedings and not made any difference to my evidence.

In Australia we have the choice of bible or affirmation.

It means I can take the oath on the bible and lie because I don't believe in it. Just don't ask me to take an oath on the tv guide.

Regardless of what you may have seen on L.A. Law or C.S.I., taking an oath on the bible is not an actual part of a court hearing.

• ?

I affirm that the evidence that I'm about to give in the matter before this court is the truth to the best of my knowledge. No bible is involved.