Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 10 years ago

Have you ever heard of "debarking" a dog? Can you believe a vet would do this?

Yesterday my sister was at a friend's house and me and our mom went to pick her up. When we got there, her friend's mom told us that their Weimeraner had gotten his vocal cords cut ("debarking") by his previous owners. They also shut him in their garage because they got hardwood floors and didn't want him scratching them up. He was essentially a 24/7 garage dog.

Do you think this is cruel, to debark a dog like that? Can you believe a vet would actually take money to do this??

My neighbor did this to his beagle because it howled and barked. I think it is so mean, you can teach your dog not to bark, it just takes some time, patients and understanding. Which apparently anyone who does this to their dog doesn't have and there for shouldn't have one, in my opinion. The poor beagle sits in the backyard all day and doesn't seem to really get any attention from the owners and every time someone walks by the fence he makes these weird sounds like he can't breath because he's trying to bark but he can't. Yes I think it is cruel.

• Anna
      2 years agoReport

It's not cruel. The dog doesn't even know it can't properly bark any more. It was your neighbour's fault his dog barked cos he was too lazy to train it to be quiet. It's always the owner's fault.

I think it's cruel, to shut the dog in the garage- why have one if you're going to treat it like a piece of metal (not to mention dangerous for him, due to the possibility of a lunkhead owner spilling/leaving out antifreeze and not cleaning/putting it up). And due to danger of monoxide poisoning, as has already been mentioned.

As for the dog and does he realize what's happened to him, I doubt he connects the vet visit to his loss of voice, let alone to his owner. Dogs CAN reason to a certain degree, but I think his emotional distress is probably not that bad. Dogs don't mull over things. They just accept and go on as best they can. Basinji's are born without the ability, so I'm wondering about how cruel it is. Maybe from a human's standpoint. I feel it's unfortunate that he was owned by people who cared no more for him than they did.

On the debarking effectiveness, several vet moderated websites I've seen state that the surgery often is ineffective due to the dog eventually regaining the ability to bark. So, I think it's waste of money, also. The vet in question probably knows this, and thus would have no qualms about performing the surgery- it's just money to pay for his training.

Source(s): constantly questioning- constantly researching (but on professional websites and from professional individuals, not Y!A)
  • Lee

I think sometimes vets do this surgery becuase the owner says its either debark the dog or euthanize him. Usually this happens only after the owner has had a number of noise complaints from neighbors. I think that sometimes the vet thinks that debarking a nice dog is better than killing one.

OK, no one's going to like this explanation, but your question is "why would a vet take money..." so - this is why- I DON'T AGREE!!! This is just WHY a vet would do this.

A veterinarian is running a business. Just like a dry cleaner or an exterminator. Would it make sense for a dry cleaner to suddenly say no to cleaning shirts? Would it make sense for an exterminator to randomly decide they don't kill bugs?

No. That's how they make money. That's their business.

A veterinarian makes money by seeing patience and doing what their owners say. GRANTED - IT'S NOT RIGHT - but it's not illegal.

A debarking procedure runs about $700-$1000. That's a pretty piece of cash. Especially when everyone else is begging for free care for the pets they can't afford.

THE PEOPLE WHO WANT THEIR DOGS DEBARKED WILL FIND A VET WILLING TO DO IT.

So, simple refusal will just mean they missed out on that money. They won't be saving a dog from debarking.

A) Dogs don't have vocal cords

B) The bark is only softened, not eliminated

C) the reason you haven't heard about it because it's not a surgery that's done routinely by vets for the convenience of their owners, rather as a last resort where all other methods fail

D) It is a very quick & painless procedure that allows a dog to stay with his family

Now all you people who jump on the bandwagon crying about how cruel it is, maybe you should think about what would be more traumatic to the dog - a simple medical procedure, being dumped in a shelter, or being euthanized. How about heading to the cat section and complain about declawing instead?

I would rather have my dogs debarked than have to give them up. Placing them in a shelter would be an automatic one way trip for two of them.

That's horrible, but I would understand why some people would want to "debark" their dogs. However, it is cruel and i would never do that to one of my dogs ever. Also, shutting a dog in the garage is very dangerous, since fumes of the car/oil are breathed in by the dog. My friend's dog died because of that, which is very sad.

• Anna
      2 years agoReport

Debarking a dog is NOT cruel it doesn't harm the dog and doesn't cause it any pain. It doesn't even notice it can't properly bark any more. But locking it in a garage IS cruel I agree.

I've heard about that. It is so mean! And the thing is that they still try to bark and make tiny pitiful sounds. I just got a puppy last week and I cannot imagine "debarking" her.

• Anna
      2 years agoReport

It's NOT mean you've never ensured a neighbours annoying little mutt have You? So the dog opens its mouth and no sound comes out. So what.

I used to clean a house where the lady softened her two yokie's barks. They sounded so weird! Sad to hear about what they do to that dog though.

• Logan

it really doesnt take away the bark, it just sounds like it has a sore throat.