Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 10 years ago

How do you get more energy or keep you energy up while cycling?

i recently started cycling and really enjoy it but, i cannot seem to keep my energy up at times. any suggestions?

- drink plenty water as you go. possibly sports drinks will help also.

- energy gels probably not necessary, unless you are really going at it for over an hour or so. I ony use them on special challenge rides.

- otherwise, ofor training, buy a little snack baggy that will mount on your frame. carry some nuts and lollies - but avoid really getting into the sugary stuff until the end of your ride. Nuts like almonds are great as they provide slow release energy.

- make sure you are getting enough complex carbohydrates a few hours in advance. It doesn't have to be rocket science.

-after your ride, chocolate milk is good for mscle recovery (its true!) - contins a good ratio of protein to carbs and rehydrates your body.

- websites like mens health can help you with such things, or search around www.bv.com.au and ask on forums on those sites.

I recently went on a ride that was supposed to be 45 miles, but I couldn't get past 35 before practically falling over on the bike. The reason? I didn't bring any water OR food to keep me energized. Dumb move and I hope it never happens again!

Lol but anywho, possible examples of good energy food include bars, gels (not as a consistent energy supply though), any food high in carbs, and most types of fruit. The key is to go through about one energy bar an hour, and one bottle of water per hour. This way you'll have a consistent supply of energy and you won't bonk in the middle of a ride.

You didn't mention the distance and pace that you ride. Hydration is number one. You should bring enough water or energy drink with you to stay hydrated. During my group ride, the two water bottles that fit on the bike frame is not enough. We make stop at gas station to refill and buy more water. Drink before you feel thirsty.

Food is important for any ride over an hour. Energy bar, banana, biscuits, etc. are all good. Target eating 300-400 cal/hr.

Your current fitness level also play an important role. Don't ride at pace faster than your body can sustain. As your fitness improve, your body will be able to recover quicker.

• M V

Make sure you don't overdo it early in the ride, which will bonk you out later. Steady as she goes, mate......effecient pedalling and such are also important. Of course you need fluids, and on any ride over about 2 hrs, you need some powerbars or other food. Lastly, an mp3 player cranking out some of your favorite tunes can make those last 20 miles bearable.

whenevr you go cycling, protein bars, or shakes arent the best. Stick to a Mars bar and water.

you may just be out-riding your fitness level..

since you just started

wle