Girls: Do you view meat eaters and pescatarians as the same?

I am a pescatarian. She is a vegan.

There is this girl I work with who I think is fantastic. She really does however talk down on meat eaters, and she is in your face about her lifestyle, but she has a million other great qualities.

I really want to make my move, except I'm afraid that I'll blow it forever if she finds out that I do eat a kind of meat (fish)

My question to you is, do you put pescatarians and regular people in the same category, or are pescatarians more acceptable/much better?

I am not giving up my only source of lean protein.

Baxxysaurus - That's great, but I'm not trying to get with YOU now, am I? :p

Deer Hunter - I have nothing against meat eaters, but if the question wasn't directed at you, gtfo? Just sayin'.

Okay, a few answers acorss the board.

Nichole - Where did I ever say that I do not consider myself a meat eater? No where.

kimmekins - Where did I say that that fish was the only source of lean protein? No where. I said I was not giving it up.

frou frou - Where did I claim I was a vegetarian? No where.

Yes and no. I see any attempt to lower the consumption of meat as a positive thing, so I would be happy if my boyfriend just ate fish.

At the same time, from an environmental aspect, overfishing is causing serious problems. Killing sea mammals, other fish and coral reefs.

Giving up seafood was the hardest thing for me to do and even when I became vegan the temptation was always there. Once I watched The Cove and learned more about what's going on in our oceans, did I feel that eating seafood, environmentally, is even worse than eating beef.

It really depends on how she feels about it. You could ask her without bringing up that you eat fish, just to get a feel. Some people don't eat fish because they believe that they have emotions and feelings. If she is one of those that believes that, she might not be happy that you eat fish.

I'll second other answers though that you should date someone who accepts you for who you are not what you eat. All of my boyfriends (and my current one) were meat eaters and we were (and are) respectful of each other's choices and lifestyles.

In the future if I am single again, I will probably seek out someone who shares my beliefs but it should never be someone's goal to change the person they are dating.

By the way, there are many sources of lean protein in an all vegetarian and vegan diet.

Oh- don't worry! I am vegetarian, not vegan, but I think pescatarians are close enough haha. I would definitely put them in the "vegetarian" category as I think most people would. I do not eat seafood,but people constantly offer me "vegetarian" meals with seafood. Personally,I would never look down on someone for being non-veg though. I think being pescatarian will look way better TO HER though than being a regular old meat eater. :) Animal welfare and being a vegetarian is very important to me, but my fiance is a meat-eater. If you guys hit it off and she likes you, that won't matter. Be confident! Good luck!

When was the last time you seen a meat protest group outside a restaurant? Or activist group showing how cruel people harming vegetables imagine peta but in reverse. Sorry but it's mainly one way Meat eaters get defencive against anyone who attacks and I sorry to say most veggies and Vegans attack meat eaters NOT the other way around. You can see this in so many answers here

• Catkin

My perspective on this is that fish usually get to enjoy a decent quality of life before they're caught & they've @ least had some sort of chance, unlike animals who have been raised to be eaten.

Also, when I was single, very few of the guys I met were vegetarian & I my decision to go out with them or not was based on other things (including their reaction to *my* being veg). When my SO & I got together, I let him know that what he put in his body was his business, but I wasn't going to cook anything that had parents for him. He made the decision to become veg during our 1st year together.

Definately be honest with her. If she's really that fantastic, she should give you a chance.

You didn't ask, but may I add that there are abundant sources of protein in the plant world? Most vegetarians in the U.S. get more protein an an average day than they need.

Source(s): Vegetarian since July 1987, with my SO since March 1998. I was an "in your face" veg early on, when I believed that most people simply didn't know the facts, but have learned to get the message across more politely & to focus on people who wanted to know.

Yes, because even though you refrain from eating red meat, you're still eating meat period.

Edit: Oh, and that's not the ony source of protein there is. And I can assure you, she probably won't be that into you once she finds that out. Seeing as how she acts. But you never know... I could be wrong... maybe.

According to the Vegetarian Society...

Definitions:

A vegetarian is someone living on a diet of grains, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruits with or without the use of dairy products and eggs.

A vegetarian does not eat any meat, poultry, game, fish, shellfish or crustacea, or slaughter by-products.

Types of Vegetarian

Lacto-ovo-vegetarian. Eats both dairy products and eggs. This is the most common type of vegetarian diet.

Lacto-vegetarian. Eats dairy products but not eggs.

Vegan. Does not eat dairy products, eggs, or any other animal product.

I have no problem with fish eaters, but I am not your potential date.

She has principles but a bad attitude.

Look for someone a little more tolerant; militants don't usually have a single cause only.

She will get on your (and your friend's) nerves eventually.

Actually, she won't.

You eat fish, ergo, she will despise you.

Sorry.

Fish is meat, pure and simple. Pescatarian is just a way to sugar-coat the fact that you are not a vegetarian.

From the way you describe her strong stance on vegetarianism, I'm pretty sure to her it's one or the other - vegetarian or not.

We don't know her so we couldn't even try to give you an answer. By the way, there are more healthy sources of protein than fish ( beans, quinoa, whole wheat are great sources) and everything else you eat, besides oil, has protein.

First of all, it's "pescEtarian"- "pesce" means "fish".

And pescetarians ARE meat eaters. Meat is the flesh of an animal. Fish are animals.

If I were her, I'd be glad that you were semi-vegetarian.

But if you think only meat has protein, you have a world to learn about nutrition.

There are plenty of other ways for you to get protein. You eat fish, therefore you are a meat eater.