how are proteins absorbed?

I'm on a personal trainer course and my lecturer is telling me that proteins need fat to be absorbed correctly. I'm pretty sure this isn't true but she is adamant that it is. Can anyone shed any light on this down to the cellular level?

• asseN

Well proteins are broken down in the stomach by enzymes known as proteases. It is broken down into smaller polypeptides(are short polymers formed from the linking, in a defined order, of α-amino acids. The link between one amino acid residue and the next is called an amide bond or a peptide bond) to provide amino acids(are molecules containing an amine group, a carboxylic acid group and a side chain that varies between different amino acids. These molecules contain the key elements of Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, and Nitrogen) to the organism.

The body is unable to store excess protein. Whatever protein we ingest, the required amount is taken in and the excess is taken to the liver where the nitrogen part is converted into urea. This process is called deamination.Deamination converts nitrogen from the amino acid into ammonia which is converted by the liver into urea.

Im not so sure about fat being needed but ive included a link about the absorption of protein and it doesnt say anything about fat being needed to help absorb protein. Whatever the above mentions, so does the link below and more so if u'd like to check it out, u can.

• Lucky for you, I'm supposed to be tested on this in Science today. And I'm in 7th grade. According to the Glencoe textbook, actually your trainer is indeed correct. The fats that you eat (the good kind...the kind you find in grains and vegetables and fruits and meat...) that goes straight down for digestion, which then breaks down the process of absorbing proteins. Therefore when women go on fatfree diets, they should rethink and take in the good kind. They are broken down by enzymes; and enzymes are created by the foods taken in by our system.

x

If this have been authentic each and each vegan-vegetarian accessible could be affected by protein deficiency. thinking many all and sundry is very heatlhy...i'm going to flow forward and say the obnoxious carnivore desires to get his/her info right this moment. :)