Tenants rights once a landlord sells the property.?

My tennancy period is 24th of the month to the following 23rd of the following month. I have given notice and plan to move out around 2nd of the month. I will therefore be paying for the property after I have left it - no way to move the departure date.

My tennancy agreement says 'the tenant agrees to ... permit the landlord or the landlord's agents during the last two months of the tenancy to enter the premises at reasonable hours during the day time together with any prospective tenants or purchasers to view the premises'.

I have duly agreed to this and as a result the landlord has accepted on offer on the property. The estate agent (the estate agent owns the letting agent although they have different names) has rung to arrange a surveyor to come around next week, at 8.30am which is very inconvenient as I have 3 children to get to school.

What are my rights about letting the surveyor in? When we leave the property on 2nd, will the estate agent be able to get in then even though I am still renting the property?

My landlord seems very pleasent and the estate agent is only doing his job and doesn't want to lose the sale (his words) but I would like to know where I stand, as the estate agent told me that they have keys, implying that I had to go along with it.

If anyone can help, please do.

Many thanks

• Favourite answer

The language in your agreement is pretty standard. Arguing that 8:30 in the AM is "unreasonable" isn't likely to fly, however. If shifting the time 30 minutes to an hour would be more convenient for you then simply state so and see what they say.

Once you have left you will no longer be in a position to object to entry at any hour for all practical purposes. Putting off the surveyor until you have left in a fortnight however would clearly be unreasonable on your part.

• Sal*UK

8.30 seems a little unfair! I don't know any surveyors who start work that early. Ring the agents and get them to re-arrange that - simply say it is not convenient to you.

After you have left on the 2nd, in theory the agent ought not to enter the property without giving you 48 hours written notice (as you are still the tenant) but in practice, they almost certainly have another set of keys and could use them. We do this, but always call the existing tenant a day or so beforehand as a courtsey because it is still THEIR home.

Easiest way? Clear your stuff out, clean the place and hand the keys over asap after the 2nd and get the inventory done and your deposit back. Sorted!

You can kindly request that they choose a different time, but ultimately, it is not your property and the landlord or landlord's agents can enter any time they wish as long as they notify you, which they have.

Of course they can enter after you vacate. Why would you care if they did?

A surveyor will not be very long, it's not like a home inspection where they look in every crevice. He's going to just glance around, if he comes in at all.

England/Wales ultimately, the owner (or agent, or means buyer) has no ideal of get right of entry to to the valuables without the two the tenants show permission, or a court order. that's applicable whether there's a clause interior the settlement touching directly to viewings - it somewhat is unenforceable without the court order. needless to say, tenants who desire a reference, tend to co-perform with a smart landlord. Google 'quiet entertainment'. If the valuables is bought, the tenants rights are completely unaffected - a similar settlement maintains, with the recent proprietor because of the fact the owner.

A surveyor should only have to do his work outdoors. ther'e's no reason for him to come inside and it shouldn't be that much of an inconvenience for you.