Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

If there is no objective morality, shouldn't I be able to do whatever I want without being vilified by others?

• Jim

Morality, by its very nature, is subjective. It is made from body politic. It is a set of social values based upon subjective reasonings. There is no morality at the absolute objective level. All there is there is just WHAT IS.

All morals have a dualistic character. Right and wrong is their basis. By that very nature alone, they are subjective. Morals are social rules, not eternal imperatives. In God's world, there is only freedom, total, absolute, unrestricted freedom. There is no one there saying you cannot do this but you may do that.

But in this world of dualism, morality is part of society. It is a set of uncodified rules that sets the norms of behavior. It says, you don't go around stealing from others or raping or defrauding, and so forth. It is meant to be for the benefit of society. You have rights, but not the right to overstep other people's equal rights. Morals are the basic rules of how a society feels that it can remain cohesive without disintigrating into unmanageable chaos. When individuals violate the precepts of their societal values, they incur the wrath of those they have violated. That's just the way the entire world works. It means even though you have freedom, you don't have the right to do anything you feel like doing. You have the right to walk down the street without being molested, but at the same time, you don't have the right to barge into someone's private home uninvited. You have to drive down the right hand side of the road or imperil the drivers coming down the left lane in front of you. You cannot drink and drive because doing so kills people. You cannot go around using hate speach because it foments violence and creates systemic injustice to those whom it victimizes. So if others are vilifying you then why are they doing so? Look towards your behaviors and discover why.

If you think you are unjustly treated, then just ask yourself this one question...how would you feel if you had to deal with YOU?

I honestly think no one should judge anyone for their lifestyle and I really don't know where this standard system of morals came from. I mean I'm not saying you should go get hooked on crack or do crazy drugs. But if you're not perfect or not living for god (for example) I don't see why that's such a big fckin deal. I guess if you're a christian you think that it is a big deal. But I don't apologize for saying that. Everyone should be able to live however the hell they want without being scrutinized. Another example is how I used to smoke weed all the time. Why is that some crazy issue to everyone. I will never understand. I've done enough valid research to know that drinking is much more damaging in the long term than weed is and there are way more alcohol related crashes. Also not that I ever would do this, but if you wanted to sleep around, as long as you were being safe god why the hell should I care? In my opinion life is about having fun and enjoying yourself. Not trying to achieve moral perfection or anything close for that matter.

NO. Morality is not objective, like science, but is established by the powerful to guide the conduct of citizens of legal entities, like states. Morality is a summary of rules which guard the power of the leaders of such states, religions, or other big institutions. You can only violate the morals of the majority at the risk of being punished by them...or their police agencies.

So, yes, you can do whatever you want...so long as you are aware of the risks you run. If it happens that what you enjoy doing harms others you can expect to be punished, not merely vilified. And the worse your immoral behavior, the worse punishment you can expect.

Well you pretty much can except for illegal things, in which case you can but run risks of facing penalties. And if you didn't face those risks and could do whatever you want everyone else could too. You might think that it'd be kind of a "I'ma get mine" mentality but it would sooner turn into an ever vigilant "omyshit I gotta hold on to mine" (Life, money, possessions, freedom, whatever).

Therefore easier on everyone to life with rules. Creates a society where most peoples baser needs are met instead of just a wild west type dealy where you can get shot in the face for having a winning hand at poker.

Also the rules may be morally subjective but the basic ideas are innately biological.

This might be so if humans were not social creatures.

As a human you rely on social networks to help insure your survival.

There are also universal behaviors that seem to transcend cultural bias.

The concept of morality is less about finding an absolute objective truth, and more about being accepted by the culture on which you depend upon for survival.

We conform to culturally expected behaviors because it is in our best interest to conform.

Our opinions regarding those mores may be subjective, but we know objectively that it it serves our interests to do so.

Well I don't believe in the concept of having to be vilified by others, and I am undoubtedly not a Christian in any sense, I do believe in living a virtuous life. Not to gain the approval of others, but for oneself. I believe that truth, in its purest form, can only be gained when one is free of all vices, and is able to lead a virtuous life, therefore, one cannot do whatever they please.

I believe that since our mortal bodies, through our sense, deceive us, that only once our immortal "souls" are freed from our impermanent bodies, can we truly know truth, freedom, and true knowledge. All of which are ideals that we can only know certain characteristics of.

Obviously, you'd have to understand my position when reading all of this, but these are my thoughts! I'm not looking for an argument; I'm merely expressing my beliefs!

Not at all, because they're allowed to have their own morality, which may include vilifying others for having beliefs apart from their own.

If there is no objective morality, and considering the more tribal circumstances of the modern world, you may define morality consensually.

That means, you go kill someone, society says it's wrong and society locks you up,

• Joe

There may be no objective morality, and as so it may be subjective, but as a society we share similar values. It's not a matter of "should" and "shouldn't," it's a matter of how we can and will enforce laws that citizens are subject to as long as they are part of our society.

The thing is....there is an objective morality.

Do you think the people that were upset and mourning for the victims of 9/11 are wrong to be upset at the terrorists for doing that?

Do you think victims of rape are wrong for feeling destroyed by the men who raped them?