Is pregnancy 9 or 10 months?

I have always heard nine months but my due date that my doctor calculates 10 months. My LMP is 12/20/09 and my due date is 9/26/10. Is that right?

Thank you

Technically its 10 lunar months or 9 calendar months -

Not all months have exactly 28 days in them - most have either 30 or 31 which accounts for the extra "month"

09/26/2010 would be a correct due date for your last LMP

Yes, if your LMP was 12/20/09, than 9/26/10 would be your due date. 12/20 - 9/20 is 9 months. Many people mistakenly think that 1 month = 4 weeks, so a 40 week pregnancy must equal 10 months. This is inaccurate because every month, except Feb., has more than 4 weeks in it. You can think of it in this way, if your LMP was 12/20, than that means on 1/20 you had completed your first month of pregnancy and month number 2 was completed on 2/20. On 2/21 you were beginning your third month, but you weren't 3 months pregnant until 3/20. A 40 week pregnancy is actually about 9 months and 1 week long. Keep in mind that there really isn't anything magic about a due date. It is just a best guess estimate of when your baby might arrive. Most full term babies arrive sometime 2 weeks before to 2 weeks after their due date.

• kat

It is 9 calendar months or 10 lunar months. A calendar month is longer than 4 weeks. Pregnancy lasts 40 weeks which divided by 4 = 10 months. So it is both.

• B

I've heard a lot of people claim that pregnancy last 10 months because 40 weeks = 10 months. However, there are approximately 52 weeks in a year. Which would mean that we would have 13 month years by that logic.

That IS 9 months. Count December to January (1), January to February (2), February to March (3), March to April (4), April to May (5), May to June (6), June to July (7), July to August (8), August to September (9).

A pregnancy is 40 weeks, give or take 2 weeks either way. You should always calculate by weeks.

It is 9 calendar months but if you consider 4 weeks a month it would be 10 months but technically it is 9 months.

It's 40 weeks, so if you go by 4 weeks in every month, then it is 10 moths, but because most months have a few extra days, it is only 9 months.

• Pippin

From the first day of your last period it's about 10 LUNAR months (40 weeks) but about 9 calendar months.

its 9 month but for me it seems like 8 months only hehe because the first 4 weeks of pregnancy hardly anyone knows they even pregnant :]

40 weeks= 10 months depending on the calendar year and what months you are pregnant through. it can end up being anywhere between 9 & 10.