Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Autism question, advice please?

My son who is 4.5 and Autistic is becoming very hard to handle.

He very often refuses to walk on the street, he will sit down on the street, put his head on his knees and his hands on his ears and doesn't move.

He is trying to run on the road, and he just won't listen.

I am seriously considering buying a pushchair that is made for disabled children to keep him away from danger, and being able to get home from nursery in 10 minutes instead of an hour etc

But I am not sure that's the right thing to do.

Just want some opinions, advice, please!

to Tracy

There are many parents on yahoo answers with autictic children and yes I am not ashamed of asking them for opinion!

What damage can it make???!!!

to Fairy

My son is on the lower end too but he doesn't understand award system as such. His understanding is limited especially when having those episodes :(

I received an e-mail from the very "popular" Tracey, this is what she wrote:

"Message: If yahoo answers is where you think you are going to find qualified answers to your son's issues, then I feel sorry for your kid.

Clearly, you aren't particlulary interested in intervention that has been known to work by people you know are experienced in the treatment of autism.

But then, I seriously doubt you have an autistic kid. "

Than she changed her settings, therefore I cant mail her back.

My answer to you is you are a phatetic waste of space. Mind your own business and keep your nose out of mine.

As you can see you got 10 thumbs down so you know what everyone thinks about your idiotic opinion.

You are probably a sad, old, lonely woman. I feel sorry for you.

You have yourself a nice day.

Jeez that is a challenge .. My heart goes out to you ! My son when he was roughly about that age ..he would only walk the roads only if he could press every lamppost on the busy road ..so that involved crossing the road every two minutes to press yet another lamppost ..then when we eventually reached a set of traffic lights . If someone pushed the traffic lights before him he'd get down and thrash like a child possessed .. We had to pick him up and resist the blows and headbutts till we passed the road without him touching a lamppost or traffic light roughly about 3 hellish times lol

This method didnt have miraculous results though it took the lamppost burden away ..though we have mild and serious issues with traffic lights depending on his mood status

I would reccommend a pushchair at present for your own piece of mind until the summer hols giving you time to scrape up a masterplan that will dampen or halt these routinal catastrophes .

Hit me with a msg on ere and ill find you on facebook .. You can learn us some methods and I and wife will

learn you what we've discovered ... Blessings to you and little one !

Source(s): Personal experience lol
  • Delia

Wow. Tracey is a moron.

My son is 6. He is also Autistic. I would try the earmuffs first. The only thing that would concern me about the push chair would be he may internalize it as you communicating there is something bad or different about him. There is also the issue that many studies have shown that children with disabilities have a tendency to "become" what they are told they are. Thus, special ed has become far more mainstreamed in many areas. There is a theory that kids who are placed only in special ed. will not progress past viewing themselves as damaged.

I am not judging the push chair at all. I would just try the muffs first, as this sounds like a sensory issue. If possible I would also avoid streets with heavy traffic.

I would just seek a professional opinion before buying the chair. They are also pricey and it would be a lot to spend on something that may not work.

Best of luck to you. You and your son will be in my thoughts.

EDIT- Also, if he likes music why not try earbud stlye headphones with music! That may block out even more sound than the earmuffs. Or, of course ear plugs would be great. They are also lower profile and would not call attention to the little guy.

• ?

Like most everyone else said 3 months old is way too early to diagnose Autism and usually they don't start looking for signs til closer to 12 months old and then it's not usually diagnosed til age 3 or older. I would get a 2nd opinion cuz alot of 3 month olds don't make eye contact or smile, it's not usually til 6 months old or so that that becomes a worry. Hope this helps and good luck, :D

A buggy isn't the only solution. If you still want him to be able to move around, you could get a harness that you can hold. You can control where he goes and he can move around. He might be scared of the traffic, is there another way you could go home where he is less likely to sit down. My friend has invested in some special ear muffs for her autistic child and they work really well- I think they are made specially for children with autism. hope this helps

definately get a buggy!!! i couldnt cope without mine!!! why make your life more difficult than it already is??? the reason why he is like this is he cant cope with the sensory overload of the outside world so getting a buggy will be helping him cope and it will keep him safe. i found that my son felt so much safer in his buggy that we were actually able to do more things and go to new places more easily. stupid cows like tracey dont understand just how different the advice you can get is from parents and profesionals. she also doesnt understand the emotional issues there are with a decision like this.

the buggies are expensive and you may not get one given to you so most of us get funding from charities. my local radio has a trust fund i applied to but if you contact the NAS they can give you a list of charities to apply to. its crap that even though its a medical need we still have to pay,,, mind you that may just be cornwall so ask the social worker or OT 1st.you never know!

by the way, myson is 6 and a half now and right at the lower end of the spectrum, he is now using his buggy less and less as he grows more confident with the world. we have a mountain buggy XL, he likes the hood so that when nosey old ladies shove their face up to his he shuts the hood so no one can see him!! lol

• KDS

My dear ignore any negative comments please from anyone. I am going through this with my son and have for some time but as he gets older it seems to get worse. I have to keep an extra watchful eye on him. He doesn't sit on the sidewalk but I have to keep him close and consistently remind him before we get to the street or if we are leaving a store I explain to him what is going to happen next and what we can expect. We stop and I ask him him what do we need to do before we cross the road. I encourage him to answer so he knows and I help him fill in what he does not know or remember.

He forgets easily. Mine doesn't listen also and some is typical but then there are the times that it is not. Those are the times when it seems as if they are running rampid and nothing will stop them.

I remember when my son was about 4 we went to get our pictures taken together and as I was paying the lady he took off out the door ran all the way down the sidewalk in front of all of these stores. As soon as I saw him dart out the door I was out after him running all the way down to catch. I didn't think I was ever gonna catch up with him. Our children who are on the Autism spectrum just do not understand the hidden dangers more so that a child who does not have a disability. Their minds are wired much differently. Autism is a neurological brain disorder and that parts that don't function the way they should are the ones that are very crucial in their everyday life.

My son tonight just did this when he just started to dart for the road at the park at t-ball. Yes it was inside the park and not to many cars but I wanted to show him that it the fact he darted for the road and i explained to what can happen.

Also to say since we have boys we need to be a little more aggressive with them because being soft spoken at times does not get their attention. When I show an aggressive approach to him he listens more and understand the seriousness in what I am saying.

I may have to repeat myself again in the future but that is part of Autism. I seriously have considered a vest like thing that has straps to it or at least for the wrist..

It is very difficult as a Mom to be going through this especially a single Mom like myself. I am here for you and you can always email me. Us Mom's need to stick together.

Source(s): My life as Mom of a child with Autism.
  • Ange

Hi, we have a maclaren major pushchair for our son (4.5 too) and he loves it, we can go anywhere with him now, he feels secure and we know he is safe, he has a blanket with him and covers himself if he gets over faced by too many people. We got our on the NHS from the wheelchair service, maybe ask for a referral from GP. Best wishes xxx.

Edit... Tracey Seth...the best people to get advice from are parents who are going through the same problems I've had so much great help and advice from here and will conitue to ask when I need to!!!

If he's on the higher end of the autistic spectrum I'd say go with the pushchair, but if you can get through to him sometimes maybe offer him a reward for staying with you.

I know a couple of people with autistic children and they vary a lot, my nephew is at the lower end and gets rewarded with magic stars if he behaves himself.

I think the pushchair is a good idea. He wont get hurt and you save time. Buckling him in the push car is no worse than a seat belt in the car. It is not cruel or will hurt the boy. You should teach him some sign language too. Drink, eat, and any simple hand gestures for easy communications. Snap your fingers to get his attention and other things like clapping whistling will make him notice you (test it).

Source(s): intuition

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Autism question, advice please?

I am seriously...

Source(s): autism question advice please: https://tinyurl.im/uHMBQ