Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

Why do I fancy 'ugly' people?

This is probably quite a strange question.

It's just that I'm attracted to people who I know are 'ugly'. And it's not personality because it could just be a random boy around school who I've never spoken to before and I just see his face and think I've fell in love, even though I know he's not stereotypically 'hot' and my friends would laugh if they knew. It means that I can't attempt to get anywhere with these 'ugly' boys because I know my friends would never let me live it down. It's not like I think they're incredibly hot, I just think "oh they're cute and they look really interesting" and I just want to look at their face because I'm just attracted to it for no reason. I don't understand. I still fancy stereotypically hot/cute men/boys, it's just there's some people who although they are ugly, I still fancy. I can look at them and pick out faults and know why they're not hot, but I still am strangely attracted to them.

Ofc it does mean that when I tell them I think they're absolutely adorable they're really flattered because no one else seems to think so, or tell them, so they're suddenly attached to me and keep talking to me. I know it's cause they've finally found someone to compliment them and flirt with them, not because they actually like ME, but yno. The 'ugly' boys I've fancied don't have anything in common, so it's not like I'm attracted to all boys with e.g. long faces (I'm not attracted to that, just a strange example xD)

It does make me happy that I fancy people normally considered 'ugly' because then I can have them without competition and they'll have me cos they can't get anyone else (but obv they've gotta like me aswell..). But it also confuses me no end.

Any ideas why?! Is just like genes and things?

I don't feel sorry for them and it's not a fetish LOL

I don't wanna be the prettier one. It's nothing to do with "oh they're ugly so I fancy them." I just do.. it's not about what other people think of them that makes me attracted to them.

My psychology teacher is about 40 and definitely not 'hot' but I fancy him LOADS.

Omg, it's not about how I can have them whenever I want cos they're 'ugly'. It's just an advantage :L The pheromones thing is what I was thinking but I couldn't think of the word for it :')

Favorite Answer

maybe you just feel bad for them

Hi - I think you know exactly what you are doing, and there's no harm in it for YOU, but these so-called 'ugly boys' would be hurt if they knew your real reasons for keeping them handy.

You can 'have them without competition' apparently.

That's pretty unpleasant thinking, and you probably have issues about your own self-worth.

If you stopped thinking about them as the Fall-Back Boys (you can 'have' them when all the handsome hot guys are interested in someone else), then it's possible you could have many great friends of those guys.

And let me tell you, 100% guaranteed, those ugly boys very often grow into the most magnificent swans. Whilst the hot handsome ones lose their hair, lose their looks, become vain and unpleasant, or become male sluts.

You can't blame your genes, sorry. It's just the way you feel about yourSELF, not how you feel about those guys you gather around you.

Good luck.

Source(s): P.s. Your latest update beginning 'OMG' conflicts totally with what you state in your opening question. You clearly state 'I can have them without competition and they'll have me cos they can't get anyone else'. ???

Society is taught what to think attractive or beautiful is, when it's really not the case. You are an exception because you can think outside the box which is a great trait to have. I think you appreciate individuality. Also there is a thing called pheromones. This is a hormone that everyone has and expells naturally. It could also be that your pheromones and these other peoples pheromones are creating good chemistry. Attraction doesn't only happen with good looking people. It's a natural thing everyone carries. Maybe you are more sensitive to it than others.

• sin

i have always gone for 'unique' looking guys too. i just find them more attractive for some reason, and you know what, there is nothing wrong with that. there are plenty of men out there who are attracted to 'unique' women (women who are not stereotypically attractive).

i don't think there is a real reason for this, it is just what you prefer for whatever reason. personally i do not find the average guy attractive, especially the 'pretty boys' you see in magazines. i would rather have a rough looking guy who really looks like a man! i think there are probably more people out there like us than you would think. most people realize that what you see in magazines and on tv is A) mostly fake and air brushed/ enhanced with plastic surgery or B) is very unattainable for the average person.

so i don't know if this answers your question but i have often pondered this myself =)

omg i totally feel the same way sometimes , i like hot guys but i tend to go with some ugly guys, and my friends would also kill me if i did anything like ask them out and i guess it has something to due with genetics . my theory is that ugly people need love to so some people were designed to get attracted to them , because not all girls can get hot guys , i mean there's just not enough of them.and one of these days you will see it doesnt matter what your friends think and you will find you a guy you like no matter his looks.

Source(s): personal experience

Ehm..

Attracting beautiful and sexy girls even though you are not a natural born latin lover it's definitely possible. You must have a good strategy in place and know the right techniques to use in order to achieve your goals. You can find on this site lotsof special techniques that you can use to seduce any girls you like: http://www.goobypls.com/r/rd.asp?gid=550

Hope it helps.

Well I was never attracted to the typically 'hot' guys, they were so overrated. I guess subconsciously I'm setting my sights low, so that way I won't have to compete with other girls who want to drool over him.

When we admire someone's personality, it can make us admire them physically, so that might be what's happened with your psych teacher? I'm not saying it's intentional, but sometimes we do things subconsciuosly that we wonder why we're doing them!

You may feel attracted to 'ugly' people because you know you could have 'em if you wanted to. Knowing that they may find you attractive make you see them differently as they'd appreciate you more.

you probably lower your physical standards for guys because you don't think you're quite all that attractive either, so you aim for guys who can match up with you, or so you could be the better looking of the two.

i do this too sometimes.

Because you want to be the prettier one.

maybe some kind of fetish?