Aphrodite ☼ asked in PetsDogs · 10 years ago

Dog Training - Love or Corrections?

Can't help myself today, I'm enjoying being the asker! lol

So let's hear it.

What is going to more effectively train your dog?

Showing your dog love or providing corrections?

In either case, why do you believe this is the correct method?

I understand that people can give love and affection when they are not misbehaving.

Please read the question carefully - this pertains to training ONLY.

The closest thing to "affection" my dog gets during training session is quiet verbal praise when he is doing something correctly.

@Chigirl - I'm glad I could help lol

• Jesse

Would everyone please take a seat, please? Thank you. Now that I have your attention I would like to answer this question in detail sparing no words using my common sense coupled with logic and my superior intelligence that surpasses anyone on this site.........uh huh.

I correct my dogs because I love them. They are not corrected with love.

See? I told you. Can't beat that.

Now, everyone can stand up and cheer.

Thank you. Thank you very much. Keep clapping. I love attention.

(Oh, for those who do not know I was recently nominated for the Bovine Excrement Award)

ADD: Sweeping bow.....Thank you, Chaos.

Find what motivates your dog. Some dogs do anything for food. Some dogs do anything for Toys. Some do anything for a good petting. Some do anything for only one type of food, like cheese, or hotdog. Some only have interest in training for 5 minutes at a time, and others can go for an hour. Figure out what your dog is willing to work for, and then work with her in sessions that are no longer than she can tolerate. How to train your dog properly https://tr.im/aIpsV

Sign up for a dog obedience training class. It will not train your dog. It will give you training on how you can train your dog. Most people understand the idea of training, but there is a right and a wrong way to do it, and there is good and bad technique. Timing and consistency is very important, and it helps to have feedback of someone watching you who can help you improve your technique to get more efficient results with your dog.

However, she may be somewhat anxious around other dogs, sort of like the shy kid on the playground. She will benefit from continuing what you are doing as far as asking her to sit before entering, but there are more things along those lines that will help her to calmly go in and out of the dog park. She may also benefit from going in short bursts, or only when fewer dogs are present, or avoiding times when other dogs that make her nervous are present. Maybe she just plays loud - my brother's dog is this way - or maybe she is a dogpark bully - sorry it is possible. But more likely she is just a little anxious around new dogs and she wants to play but just doesn't quite know how to do that and still feel comfortable. Don't be surprised if your dog does not actually like the dog park, and maybe she would get more enjoyment and less stress out of simply going for a good walk somewhere else.

A wagging tail does not mean that your dog is happy or even comfortable with the situation. It means your dog is emotionally aroused. This could be a happy arousal, or it could be a nervous arousal, or it could be an aggressive arousal. Go youtube it, there are plenty of videos of 'vicious' dogs who are throwing a very aggressive fit of barking and snarling while their tail is wagging vigorously. Even police dogs who are not let off the leash to chase down a suspect can be lunging and barking and snarling, and their tails are still going.

• ?

Hi, I understand that you are looking for some advice or resources to help fully train your dog or fix behavior problems. If a professional dog trainer is not an option at this time, or if you want to trt training your dog on your own (a great way to bond), I'd suggest you https://bitly.im/aMAJy

A friend recommened it to me a few years ago, and I was amazed how quickly it worked, which is why I recommend it to others. The dog training academy also has as an excellent home training course.

• Diana

Depends on what its for and what I am correcting. - Ranger picks something up off the ground he isn't suppose to a quick "drop it and NO" gets him most of the time. - On walks when he is not heeling in the correct position a pop from the prong collar seems to work. - However in situations like he is barking at another dog the pop with the prong collar or the no will only make things worse. Bulls are different than most breeds in this way. We have been working on this with a simple watch me command, but its still a work in progress. Doesn't matter how hard you pop the prong it does nothing if the dog is at this point. Different things work for different dogs and breeds.

I think it definitely takes both.

Lets say I'm teaching my dog to sit. I'll gently put him in the sit position after the command and hand signal about 10 times. After that, I'll start to use light corrections, and work my way up from there. I use light verbal praise while he is sitting. When I free him, THEN he get's lots of praise (not treats). Once he has it down pretty well, I tend to back off on praising as much. I mean really, I can't go his whole life being rubbed and petted (or given a treat if you use them) after obeying every command. He should obey because I told him to; I'm the alpha. So all in all, I think the trick is finding the right balance.

I like what "tiptop..." was saying about training moments if real situations through the day. Like yesterday I told my dog to jump in the truck (I just went to the end on my driveway to our shop), and used the time to teach him to stay in the truck until I lowered the tailgate AND told him to hop out. I think dogs learn well when you can take a minute in a real situation and work with them in it.

• Leigh

I much prefer to use positive methods, and I do whenever possible. Positive methods are quite effective with training a dog to do tricks or for basic obedience. When field training, or even training the dog to stay away from the street, corrections are often necessary and more effective. There is a place for both. There are simply times that positive reinforcement is not the best choice or even when it is not possible.

I think a combination of both in an appropriate manner (ie. leash pops ok, but not hitting etc.). My dog responds well to verbal praise, but he is also very stubborn. He learned a lot quicker not to bark at everything moving while on walks when I started squirting him with a squirt bottle than he did when I was only rewarding him for good behavior. I've had him for a year and I've been working on his walks since I've adopted him. He has gotten to the point where he stopped lunging and throwing a fit, but still barked/growled. Within only a month of using the squirt bottle he has become non-reactive for a good 97% of the time (bicycles still bother him every once and a while). Now when he sees someone coming I tell him he's being a good boy when he notices them and is calm, he looks up at me and knows he's doing the right thing, and walks on by.

• Kendra

Love for the good things. I'll praise them when they do good and what they're supposed to do. If they get it wrong (ie. commands) I won't yell at them, I'll just be presistant and keep asking the command, etc..

Corrections for the more needed things. For when they need to know that it isn't good. I usually Clap my hands and say, "Hey!" or, "No!" if they're doing something bad. They get the point and lay in their dog bed. I do more things too -- I just don't feel like listing them >_>

Honestly -- 50/50 (I haven't slept in a couple days, sorry if my answer isn't thorough)

Providing corrections LET them know it isn't bad/unacceptable. Love for all the wrong things will probably confuse them. All dogs need a consistant owner, one that's willing to train. Love & Affection won't always be the answer. Dogs need a lovable owner, whos willing to "discipline(train)" when they need it. And gosh knows we've used this many times but this time it's useful --- They need something like a "parent" to a "child". One that will tell them it's wrong, but will always love 'em.

#For training -- It's both, as I said. Depending upon what we are working on; because goodness -- a simple "Training" list will go on.

I use a mix of praise and corrections. I think well trained dogs need both IMO. Of course everything couldn't be corrective because then the dog would not want to work for you or have any reason to please you. Of course you couldn't only train with love because like humans dogs need to be corrected when they do something wrong and know where their limits are. Life is not all love, fairly tails and praise. Somethings are better of learned by using a correction vs. love and some dogs work better using more of one or the other. I have bully breeds so I often have to correct them because they like to challenge me and are stubborn, but of course at the same time they are very human loving and will work off praise sometimes.

Source(s): Owner of bully breeds

First of all, I did read your question and it says: What is more effectively going to train YOUR dog? So, I will answer for MY dog.

The dog I am currently training is to date my absolutely favorite dog I have ever in my life owned or trained. I train her with ALMOST 100% "love".

This past Tuesday my dog and I went to our weekly training class. I was having a bad day and our class was preceded by me literally rolling down my window to scream at some idiot on the road who had his head so far up his *** he couldn't manage to get his car out of the way of an ambulance and fire truck heading to an accident in front of us. I was... in a mood...

During class Lilly was generally doing great, but for some reason she started to lag on her heels. I gave her a good solid pop and told her to "get up".

Boy... if looks could kill...

If she could talk, she would have very clearly said something like: "Listen, *****, if this is the way we're going to play this game, I'll go sit in the car and you can walk around the ring yourself."

I knew right then and there I was clearly doing something wrong. The hard pop (which was way over the line for a correction with her) being the first of them. I asked one of the trainers to watch me for a couple minutes and sure enough, we figured out exactly what the problem was - my fault.

MY dog, Lilly, does not need much in the way of correction, and giving it to her is going to do nothing but make her want to tell you to get bent. She will do damn near anything I ask of her as long as she is capable and I ask her in a way that she understands. To tell her "no" when she does something other than what you want will accomplish nothing but her looking at you wondering why you have to be such a jerk about it - just tell her in a positive way she understands and she will be happy to do it. Withholding reward is her version of training correction.

Do my dogs get corrections? Absolutely, but VERY rarely in an actual training session. When I have a training session where all I ever do is correct and never get excited and energetic, it feels depressing to me. I want my dogs to be excited about working with me, not stressed about screwing up. I also want to feel excited about it myself.

Most of the correcting in my house happens in everyday life rather than training sessions. For me, training sessions are geared at practicing for Rally competition. None of what we are doing in those sessions is life and death.

There are three laws in my house - come when you are called, shut your mouth when you're told, and don't pull on the leash. That's it. They rest they do because it's fun. They are both taught and maintained positively and will always yield correction if the 3 laws are not followed - my dogs are very clear about this.

Ahhh it’s good to be back!

(Started a new (busier) job 2 weeks ago and have not had a chance till now to get on-line).

I have to say it is - in my humble opinion - a definite combination of both.

That is if you are talking 'praise and corrections'.

To me you can’t train a dog without one or the other.

It is not a matter of using one more than the other... it is a matter of using what is appropriate at that moment in time.

"Love" seemed a strange word to me, as I have often seen animals trained without love (my uncle’s sheepdogs were brilliant workers, but I don’t recall him lavishing any love on them whatsoever).

BUT - he most certainly DID praise and reward them, as well as correct them when required. And boy could they work a flock of sheep superbly. When they were not working, they were chained. I used to feel sorry for them, but actually, looking back, I would say they thrived off it.

He used to say to me that because they were chained, when they were let off to work, they were MUCH more focused - He was right. But I would still hate to see my dogs chained so much like that.

Either way - I still say they need a balance or praise or 'love' AND corrections.

As for how much - again the praise/reward I lavish on my dog depends enormously on the situation. In obedience a quite "good girl" or ear rub is often sufficient and appropriate.

In agility, I rev my dog up and clap, wave my arms and shout. She loves it and revs up to match!!

It is fantastic after she fly’s through the tunnel over some jumps and zooms through the weavers, and I yell "Come Nina- yay!" Clapping and whooping like an idiot to get her focus back on me - and she flys back to me at a thousand miles an hour, leaping and jumping up and down on the spot, wildly excited and clearly thrilled with herself! It is very easy in the mad adrenalin rush for them to tear around and want to run slightly off course/under the ropes or race up to other dogs - So I always make sure that I am the most exciting thing around!! Lol!