Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

could volcanic ash damage my car engine?

I asked my boss if I could go home for fear of engine ruination if the cloud hits Manchester, and he says my car has an 'air filter'. I asked him why multi-million pound jets didn't also have them and he says he doesn't know.

He's being reckless isn't he?

• Favourite answer

He's being slightly reckless and you're being, dare I say, precious. The aircraft are flying at altitudes where they are likely to encounter greater volumes of the ash. Your car should be fine. I went driving today and didn't notice any problems.

• Alice

Change your automobile air filter frequently. Fortunately for you, your vehicle does not have a jet-type engine.

More information on car engine issues with volcanic ash:

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/ash/trans/index.php#vehi...

Here is an explanation of how volcanic ash affects airplanes:

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/ash/trans/index.php#airc...

@Hypocite: I am going to give your answer a thumbs-up for your use of the adjective "precious".

• ?

When Mt St. Helens errupted, cars that were driving and down wind were ruined. Special filters had to be used. If you are not driving, then it is not a problem. Depends on the type of ash and the quantity.

Maybe leave the car and get the bus home.

I'll write to Richard Branson and ask him to introduce air filters into his flying machines. To be on the safe side.

• ?

via the time the ash cloud gets right down to highway point it could have been washed out in rain, and no subject. For obtainable engine injury any suitable air filter out could desire to guard ok, yet relatively some the "game" mesh gadgets could no longer be so reliable

No chance of it damaging your car unless you drove into the volcano.

You car does not have high speed turbine blades.

Your boss is being perfectly sensible and that is what your air filter is for.

• It will only damage the car engine if you are driving 6 miles above sea level.

It might - I suggest you don't drive at 30,000 feet as a precaution

No, he is just being a miserable boss.

Only if you drive it at high altitude :)