Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

could volcanic ash damage my car engine?

I asked my boss if I could go home for fear of engine ruination if the cloud hits Manchester, and he says my car has an 'air filter'. I asked him why multi-million pound jets didn't also have them and he says he doesn't know.

He's being reckless isn't he?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Favourite answer

He's being slightly reckless and you're being, dare I say, precious. The aircraft are flying at altitudes where they are likely to encounter greater volumes of the ash. Your car should be fine. I went driving today and didn't notice any problems.

• Alice
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Change your automobile air filter frequently. Fortunately for you, your vehicle does not have a jet-type engine.

More information on car engine issues with volcanic ash:

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/ash/trans/index.php#vehi...

Here is an explanation of how volcanic ash affects airplanes:

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/ash/trans/index.php#airc...

@Hypocite: I am going to give your answer a thumbs-up for your use of the adjective "precious".

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

When Mt St. Helens errupted, cars that were driving and down wind were ruined. Special filters had to be used. If you are not driving, then it is not a problem. Depends on the type of ash and the quantity.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Maybe leave the car and get the bus home.

I'll write to Richard Branson and ask him to introduce air filters into his flying machines. To be on the safe side.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

via the time the ash cloud gets right down to highway point it could have been washed out in rain, and no subject. For obtainable engine injury any suitable air filter out could desire to guard ok, yet relatively some the "game" mesh gadgets could no longer be so reliable

• 1 decade ago

No chance of it damaging your car unless you drove into the volcano.

You car does not have high speed turbine blades.

Your boss is being perfectly sensible and that is what your air filter is for.

• It will only damage the car engine if you are driving 6 miles above sea level.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It might - I suggest you don't drive at 30,000 feet as a precaution

• 1 decade ago

No, he is just being a miserable boss.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Only if you drive it at high altitude :)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.