Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 10 years ago

did any British soldiers die in the UK in ww2?

:D I'm learning more about WW2 in school, and I find it very interesting (although a harrowing representation of inhumanity) and so I want to find out more. I'm also wondering over the idea of writing a few stories about life in WW2, so as much information as possible is great.

I want to know if any British soldiers actually fought in Britain in any way, and if so, how many died? As i said any information on this subject would be appreciated! :)

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There was no ground fighting on UK soil in WW2. Germany's navy couldn't stand up to Britain's, and they failed to defeat the RAF, so there was no way to launch an invasion.

However, Germany did launch a great number of Air Rais which killed about 50,000 people. It is highly likely that amongst these deaths there were some military personnel. Members of the Home Guard were probably the most numerous of British soldiers to be killed on British soil by German bombs.

Also, a few hundred Pilots and Aircrew died in the Battle of Britain, which was fought in the skies above South-East Britain between Britain's Royal Air Force and Germany's Luftwaffe

• John P
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

There was no land fighting in The UK in the way of repelling an invasion because the invasion didn't happen. However, some soldiers would have died in air raids, as did many civilians. Some soldiers would also have died as a result of training accidents and road smashes. I have been talking specifically about 'soldiers'. Many RAF pilots died in the Battle of Britain and in other air battles over Britain. Royal Naval personnel died in waters around the British Isles.

• 4 years ago

Yes but so did Ted Heath and successive governments both Labour and Tory who have sold this country out . Immigration is an issue but any one questioning it is branded racist by PC liberals , morality is undermined by trendy celebs and left wing academics, crooks are have more rights then the law abiding majority. And to top it of our sovereignty is being sold to unelected bureaucrats on the continent creating a superstate similar to the Nazis vision. The reason why people are being seduced by the BNP is because of the above a vacuum is being created in British politics a chasm is appearing between the political and chattering class and the rest of us and it will get worse and Nick Griffin and his pals vote will grow until the elite wakes up and starts listening and giving the people there country back which what the veterans fought for our freedom. I personally will vote UKIP .

• 10 years ago

Some would have been hit by bombs from german aircraft in the blitz. The ports were bombed, so some navy men might have died in the ports. Coventry was dreadfully badly bombed, but it wasn't a major military base. Some soldiers would have been repatriated with wounds and then died of those wounds later. Some would have died of natural causes.

My father, in the RAF, nearly died of falling off his motor-cycle.

The only invasion of the British isles took place on the channel islands, but I don't believe there was any actual fighting there.

Source(s): Try the Imperial war museum
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 10 years ago

There was no land combat in the UK .

The only soldiers who died would have been killed in air raids or training accidents.

600 US soldiers were killed off the coast of Devon while training for the D Day invasion.

Their boats were attacked by German E-boats

• 10 years ago

It's a work of historical fiction but "Suite Francais" is a really good book. We read it for my 300 level college course on the history of modern france. Follows France more than Britain but a very accurate and well written book by a woman who was later persecuted during the Holocaust

• Adam T
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Well sort of. There was the battle of Britain, which was fought in the skies above Britain, and military bases were targets for german bombers. In both cases UK personnel died, but there was never any land battle

• El
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Word Population 1939 - 1,961,913,000

Totals Deaths in WW2 72,763,500

Military deaths - 25,193,700

Civilian deaths - 41,815,400

Jewish Holocaust deaths - 5,754,400

According to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission 383,667 UK & Crown Colonies service personnel were killed during World War 2.

British Commonwealth

1. Number served: UK & Crown Colonies (5,896,000); India (2,582,000), Australia (993,000); Canada (1,100,000); New Zealand (295,000); South Africa (250,000). 1,253-254

2. Total war related deaths reported by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission: UK & Crown Colonies (383,667); Undivided India (87,031), Australia (40,458); Canada (45,364); New Zealand (11,928); South Africa (11,903);29,10

3. Wounded: UK & Crown Colonies (284,049); India (64,354), Australia (39,803); Canada (53,174); New Zealand (19,314); South Africa (14,363)191820

4. Prisoner of war: UK & Crown Colonies (180,488); India (79,481); Australia (26,358); South Africa (14,750); Canada (9,334); New Zealand (8,415)191820

5. The 'Debt of Honour Register' from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission lists the 1.7m men and women of the Commonwealth forces who died during the two world wars. [64]

• 10 years ago

Well, the Germans never got round to invading the UK proper, but that doesn't mean no-one died. 60,000 civilians were killed but German bombing of cities from 1940-42 and another 10,000 in 1944-45. 800 British pilots were killed in the battle of Britain in summer 1940, and German long-range guns firing from Calais killed several people in Dover. The Germans did invade the Channel Islands (British territory very close to France fyi) and rounded up and killed local jews. Large numbers of sailors also died in British waters from U-boat attacks (as well as plenty of German U-boat crews)and accidents with weapons were common, especially amongst Home Guard troops, who were civilians prepared to fight if the Germans invaded. Due to poor training and inexperience several hundred died in accidents during the war. more than 1200 American soldiers died in spring 1944 in two separate training accidents as they were preparing to invade Normandy. But as far as British infantry being killed in action in the UK is concerned, the only deaths would have been from accidents or chance bomb deaths.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

If any soldiers were killed in the UK it would have been in air raids. No enemy combat was undertaken on british soil and the Home Guard were here in the UK as a last line of defence.

Also there were soldiers killed in Devon on the live ammo training for the D-Day landings

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.