Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesOther - Taxes · 1 decade ago

Is is at all possible to choose where our taxes go?

So for example, I choose to put 5% of them into education, 5% into NHS, etc.

Favorite Answer

rtfm is quite correct, you either to it that way, the hard way or you vote for a party that expresses your views, once a party is in power there's nothing you can do about where the money goes.

You can't individually earmark money for programs. Congress arrives at a budget resolution and money is appropriated based on congress' infinite wisdom. Your individual taxes have no identity when they hit the treasury. We spend money based on the budget. Government agencies don't always expend all the money appropriated. I would prefer to buy things I want with the fruits of my labors. This, of course, is the way things work in the US. If you're from the UK (I noticed you mentioned the NHS), I can't provide insight. If the citizenry had visibility of where their money is going, I'm sure we wouldn't be so cavalier about supporting fancy new programs to fix our lives. My family is pretty good and taking care of itself without the intervention of government "brain workers."

• rtfm

Nope. Not unless you campaign for elected office and get elected to a position of responsibility for the budget.

You can choose who you vote for and tell that person what your think your taxes should pay for.

Of course not. And shouldn't be.