I can't change the resolution from 640 by 480 to any other resolution on my windows xp computer?

when i turned on my computer just after the windows xp loading screen the screen goes black, so i restarted it and presses f8 and enabled VGA mode and then the computer loaded properly just the icons were a lot bigger. i then right clicked and went on properties and changed the resolution to 800 by 600 and clicked... show more when i turned on my computer just after the windows xp loading screen the screen goes black, so i restarted it and presses f8 and enabled VGA mode and then the computer loaded properly just the icons were a lot bigger. i then right clicked and went on properties and changed the resolution to 800 by 600 and clicked ok, but then the screen went black again. Can some one tell me how to make the resolution 800 by 600 please without the screen going black.