Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 10 years ago

Does a tenant have to allow a lock box on rented condo?

My partner and I are renting a condo from the owner/landlord in Connecticut.

Our lease is over soon towards the end of the year . The landlord recently put the condo on the market for sale, this will not affect our lease at all whether the condo is sold before our lease is up or not. We will be moving when our lease is up because the apartment has been too small for us for a while. I am already aware of the fact that the owner must give us 24 hours notice to enter for showings. There is no problem with that as long as notice is given. I was recently told that since our lease doesn't require our permission for agents to enter, a lock box will be installed on the door to make it easier for other agents ( besides the usual one) to enter for showings, open houses, etc. ( as long as they give us 24 hours notice). I have no problem at all with that.

When we first spoke about the condo being put on the market, I told them I would rather not allow a lock box to be put on the door, It makes me very uncomfortable and as long as notice is given, I will make it my business to be here to let them in when they would like to show the condo. I have had bad experiences in the past of people being in my apartment when I am not there and it has not been pleasant. This is our home, with our valuables and I also have a newborn baby in the house.

My lease covers entry, but says nothing about the option of a lock box.

My question is under Connecticut State Law, do I need to allow a lock box on the door as long as I cooperate? Because I would rather not have it if I don't need to.

Favorite Answer

CT law does not require 24 hours notice, your permission or consent to showing the property. As a key needs to be available for a realtor a lock box can be used, you have no say in the matter at all.

Here is the actual law, as it is written:

" Sec. 47a-16. When landlord may enter rented unit. (a) A tenant shall not unreasonably withhold consent to the landlord to enter into the dwelling unit in order to inspect the premises, make necessary or agreed to repairs, alterations or improvements, supply necessary or agreed to services or exhibit the dwelling unit to prospective or actual purchasers, mortgagees, tenants, workmen or contractors.

• Jane

He is insisting, because your realtor wants to be able to have access to show the house at any given time. Now, most tenants are not going to be keen on this idea, and it's actually pretty unusual for the landlord to side with the tenants not wanting a lock box or in some ways being seen as blocking access to see the house at the drop of a hat. Even IF you don't like confrontation or telling people your opinion, this realtor is in YOUR employ. That means, what YOU say goes. If you don't want a lock box, and the tenants want to be there when the realtor shows the house, that is just how it has to be, or they can agree with you to cancel the listing and you can choose a realtor who won't push you to do things you aren't comfortable with.

Putting a lock box on your door opens your premises up to the public. You do not have to allow this. Tell the landlord that if he puts a lock box on your door he is violating your "quiet enjoyment" of the property and that you will cut the box off. You are required to let him inspect the property with a 24 hour notice or in a case of emergency, but giving access to just anybody at anytime is not acceptable or lawful.

Tell the landlord that anyone found in your premises not accompanied by him will be arrested for breaking and entering and trespassing. I would put a notice on the door stating this.

Most MLS's require a tenant to sign a "Lock Box Release" form allowing members to legally enter the premises. If the tenant doesn't sign that release a lock box can't be used. Call the broker where the property is listed and the MLS Association of Realtors and tell them that no agent can enter your premises without first getting your specific permission. If they do they will be arrested.

The Section 47a makes no mention of a lock box and is not applicable. While you are required to allow people the landlord in the premises it must be reasonable and the landlord must accompany the visitor. Being reasonable requires that it is also convenient to you as the tenant. If your baby is sleeping you don't have to let them in.

Being reasonable is a two way street.....not just for the benefit of the landlord, but also for the benefit of the tenant. Having an open house or being intruded upon numerous times a day is not reasonable and does not allow "quiet enjoyment".

Yes, you must allow a lockbox to be placed on the property. 24 hour notice of entry is required, but you cannot require that YOU be home when they are scheduled to enter. You CAN be, if you so choose. Insure that small valuables are stored out of sight, so that they are secure. Don't worry about the big items. A dishonest person has a hard time walking out the door with a 42" flatscreen without being seen.

As far as the newborn child is concerned, it's safe to assume that YOU will be present whenever the child is present.

• LILL

1. Unless your lease states otherwise, 24 hours notice is not required. CT law only requires "reasonable notice" be given.

2. The landlord is legally permitted to place a lock box on his property.

3. The landlord does not need your permission nor can you require to be present during showing.

The listing agent may give you notice of showings, but other agents, knowing there is a lock box, will

just not adhere to the rules.

There would be nothing to stop them from entering at will, when you are in bed, in the shower, making love,

in the midst of dinner, when entertaining etc,etc.

Don't allow it. No one will admit to missing items.

Source(s): Knowledge.

Go with Glens argument for no lock box

Also while reasonable notice maybe one part, its not the only part under quiet enjoyment, Frequency of showing is another issue, for example even with your states notice requirement showing it five times on Sunday when you are home with child would may be a violation of statute/law/ quiet enjoyment

Keep a log, of dates times, etc, no proper notice no entry,

As towards an open house on the weekend when you are home, is definitely an interference with your quiet enjoyment of the home/condo

Remember state statute is only one part of law; There will be CT CAse law on point on the frequency of showings and quiet enjoyment of a rental

No. As long as you are available when they want to show it, you don't need to give them keys to enter whenever they want. I wouldn't want that either - then they can come and go as they please.. you could be sitting on the couch watching tv, sleeping, taking a shower and they just enter with buyers... no thanks lol

Yes you do need to allow the lock box.