Breath in the bible is a very interesting word. In this passage, we see the Lord Jesus after His resurrection?

coming to the disciples in the room and breathing into them, telling them to receive the Holy Spirit.

Jn 20:22

And when He had said this, He breathed into them and said to them, Receive the Holy Spirit.

In the beginning when man was created, we see that God formed his body out of the dust of the ground, then He breathe into man's nostrils and THEN man became a living soul.

Genesis 2:7

Jehovah God formed man with the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and man became a living soul.

Here is another verse in the OT

Ezekiel 37:5

Thus says the Lord Jehovah to these bones: I will cause breath to enter into you, and you shall live.

1 Cor 15:45 shares with us that the Lord Jesus, as the Last Adam, BECAME a Life Giving Spirit.

He said in John 10:10 that He came, that we might have LIFE and have it abundantly.

Because of His passing through death ( as the grain of wheat) and resurrection ( releasing the Life within Him to produce many grains) the Lord Jesus, as this Last Adam, became a Life Giving Spirit.

By breathing the Spirit into the disciples, the Lord imparted Himself into them as life and everything.

I would like some feed back on two points, based on these verses.

1. God breathe into Adam and he became living. The Lord Jesus, also breathe into the disciples and told them to receive the Holy Spirit. He imparted God's eternal Life into the disciples that day. Does this show us that the Lord Jesus is indeed God, able to impart Life to others?

2. Why was it that the Lord was not able to breathe into the disciples BEFORE passing through death and resurrection. He only breathe into them and told them to receive the Holy Spirit AFTER His death and resurrection.

Please share your take on these two points.

Ty so much for contributing to this post.

Doe. Ty so much for your contribution to this post. Very valuable.

Just wanted to note something also regarding the Spirit is that He is presented as the Breath in John 20:22 for the inward supply of Life to the disciples, but later on in Acts, we see Him as the Mighty Rushing Wind coming UPON the disciples as their power and authority, equipping them for the work of the Ministry. Seems to be two aspects of the one Spirit.

When the Lord breathe into the disciples, it was on the evening of His resurrection. The Spirit as the Mighty Rushing Wind happened over a month later on the day of Pentecost. Prior to this outpouring of the Spirit, the brothers were praying in the Oneness of the Indwelling Spirit. So seems like they received the Holy Spirit inwardly to supply them, to keep them in Oneness to pray PRIOR to the outpouring of the SPirit outwardly as a mantle, uniform of authority to carry out the New Testament Ministry.

Hallelujah for the Holy PNEUMA!

Sis Marj, you really pulled it all together so succinctly. Enjoyed your post very much.

Hello Servant. Ty for taking time to contribute to this post today.

Just wanted to make it abundantly clear that I believe that the Bible, From Genesis to Revelation is the Entire Divine Speaking from God's heart concerning His Purpose, Plan, Economy, Administration, Good Pleasure and Delight. The Seeds are planted in Genesis and throughout the whole bible has been developed and consumates in the book of Revelation.

I also like the KJV, but do not particularly appreciate any addition of words and also some of the translations in certain portions. I appreciate it very much but lean toward other versions like Darby Translation, but moreso the Recovery Version.

That is very interesting comparing the breath of God in the OT with John 20:22! Yes, the breathe of God does something all right! It brings life into something. That reminds me of a song, "Breathe on me, O breath of God, breathe on me." I think it was at camp that we sang this and I don't remember ever singing it in church but it's very inspirational.

It's also interesting that the disciples were saved or born again before the day of Pentecost because some people have that mixed up, so this is important to remember. And yes, the wind of the Holy Spirit in Acts 2:4 is a stronger breath of God. God has done so much for us and we owe him everything.

Jesus said, "I am the resurrection and the life. He that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live." John 11:25

I have been thinking a lot about this recently and I believe that it is no coincidence that in both Hebrew (with the word ruah) and in Greek (pneuma) the same word has the meaning of life, wind and spirit. Normally for such a coincidence to occur in two unrelated languages would be staggering, but this is the work of God. If one bears this in mind, there are far more instances in Scripture. For example, the Spirit came upon Mary and she conceived Jesus (cf the Lord breathing life into Adam). At the end, Jesus gave up the ghost -- i.e. His breath/spirit returned to the God Who gave it. http://bible.cc/ecclesiastes/12-7.htm When the Holy Spirit (Pneuma Hagion) came, He came as a mighty rushing wind (pneuma). Nicodemus was told that just as the wind blows where it pleases, so is the believer born of the Spirit. One could spend hours considering the different examples of wind, breath and spirit in the Bible -- and still not exhaust the possibilities.

• Pamela

Jw's bible students, are just that, so those of that resurrection that will be with Jesus are equal to angels, Luke 20:34-36. Those(with Jesus)must know this, John 3:5-8, angels are spirit/spirits, God is a soul, Jer.9:9; God is a spirit, John 4: 24; Job 38:4-7, angels are first before man. Job 2:1-3, God ask one spirit being about an earthly flesh being named Job. Matt.25:31-35, holy angels are with Jesus. Until Jesus ascended into heaven after his resurrection, Matt.27:5-53, Acts 1:9-11; And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. 1:10 And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; 1:11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven. Life of flesh is three to five miles above the earth as the birds or a helicopter does fly. Acts 2:27-35; Jesus ascended to God's right hand. He could do as priviledged angels(spirit beings), materialize or be invisible, after his resurrection and while on earth. Many verses support this. So all bible students either know or are learning this, there are only two beings, flesh or spirit.

• seajay

1. Yes, along with many other passages. The Jews wanted Jesus executed because he said: "before Abraham was I am" implying unequivocal that he is the incarnation of God: that is "the Word made flesh" (c.f. John's gospel ch. one and ff. Keeping in mind that it stands: "the word was with God, and the word WAS God". [only the JW interpret this as "and the word was a god".]

2. I am sure He could have but that would simply not make sense, for His work on earth was yet uncompleted. His death and resurrection was necessary for Him to have, in His human stated, victory over sin and death. Jesus' final words on the cross are: "it is finished". All was necessary, to complete the Father's will. His victory as Lord of Life enables Him to share that new life with His disciples through the out pouring of the Holy Spirit, the Paraclete.

Peace be to this house (Luke 10:5)

To simply trusting, the truth is almost within your grasp, read and study each and every word written in the gospel of Jesus according to John more specifically John 1:1-18 and John 20:1-22.

Do not, I repeat DO NOT listen to or read the words of anyone else but the words written in the 4 Gospels just as written ONLY in the King James 1611 version, and after you have read John 1:1-18 and John 20:1-22 (KJV) pick one of the commandments as spoken by Jesus from Mathhew chapter 6 and do exactly and I mean EXACTLY as it tells you to do, (word for word), after you have obeyed that commandment to down to the letter, go back and reread John 1:1-18 and John 20:1-22 and if you have obeyed the commandment exactly as written, you should see words in John 1:1-18 and John 20:1-22 that you have never seen before.

I tell you that these new words are not new they have always been there but your eyes would not allow you to see them, but because you have obeyed God the Father and have prayed in your closet, God the Father has sent the Spirit of Truth to reveal (manifest) the truth to you.

Stay in the words Jesus spoke for the words Jesus spoke are alive, the words themselves are the Father, the words themselves are the kingdom of heaven.

Remember Mary sister of Lazarus, for she anointed Jesus at the hour of His death. (Matthew 26:13, John 11:1-2, and Luke 10:38-42)

I am not a Christian, I am a disciple of Jesus, and I not only read each and every word the man called Jesus alone spoke, but I do as all the words Jesus only spoke tell me to do.

Source(s): The Holy Ghost and the Sirit of Truth

You have answered most of the question yourself. I will comment on the last two.

1. Jesus proved he is God and able to impart life to as many as he shall choose.

Jesus never refused anyone's request of him.

He raised Lazarus from the dead after 3 days to show that he could do this and would

raise himself also.

2. The Lord gave the Holy Spirit after he was resurrected because he had defeated satan

for his own. All of the followers of Jesus have his spirit in them.

This amazingly is the same spirit that was in the Lord and has the same power that

created the heavens and the earth. It is an awesome power that he gave us.

• star

1. there are more scripture than this to prove that Jesus is God Almighty.

Jesus' death is synonymous with salvation. Only God can forgive and save.

No human prophet has this capacity or ability.

2. Jesus says that He will send the Holy Spirit AFTER His death.

Joh 1:33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, THE SAME IS HE WHICH BAPTIZETH WITH THE HOLY GHOST.

in other words, Jesus IS the Holy Ghost.

that is why when Jesus was in the flesh, there was no baptism of the Holy Spirit upon His believers. Upon His death, however, the Holy Spirit ie. Jesus baptizes His believers.

Man is created in the image of God above the animals with an eternal spirit.

God created man from the dust (flesh) and breathed in life (spirit) and man became a living soul.

The order is very important, The Bible teaches the first will be last and the last will be first.

Man is instructed to put the flesh in submission to the spirit.

Man is not a finished creation but a creation in progress. Adam is not the finished creation but we are finished through Christ.

Jesus taught that unless a man be born again he will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Man is first born flesh and then born of the spirit through the atonement and resurrection of Jesus Christ; It can't happen before the literal event.

Man is first born of the flesh (Adam) then through Christ is born again of God which is born again of the spirit.

This was always demonstrated by faith.

Abraham's faith was accounted to him as righteousness,

The Jews through faith offered sacrifices,

The same is true today though we have the literal atonement and resurrection of Jesus it is by faith we are born again.

It is by faith we accept the atonement and receive the Holy Spirit and are by faith new creatures.

Now we have literally received the Holy Spirit to guide us in truth greater than flesh and blood.

This was provided through the literal atonement and resurrection of Jesus.

We still are by faith made new and by faith born again, We will literally be made new upon our resurrection.

God is creating man in his order.

1. yes he is God

2. the reason he didn't breathe into them before was, he had to be glorified before the church could begin. also, Jesus was God that could only be one place at one time. He had to suffer and die so the Holy Spirit (who is also God) could come and be anywhere at anytime in every believer.

Remember most of the disciples didn't understand until after the ressurection

• imrod

The word for breath, wind and spirit is same, pneuma.