Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 10 years ago

loss of no claims bonus (uk)?

Can this happen or am I being lied to?

I had 4 years no claims and now because I haven't had my ''own'' policy for 4 years (just as a named driver, still without making a claim since) they have said I now have NO NO CLAIMS!

Am I being tricked or this this a law or just a guideline?

Thanks in advance

Some insurance companies will allow you to retain your no-claims bonus for up to 2 years, if you don't have insurance in your own name. A few will allow you 3 years. None will allow you any more than that.

It has nothing to do with the law. They are the regulations, as set out by the Insurance Ombudsman.

You are not being tricked.

Some companies do a no claims for named drivers as long as you insure with them - they do not do one that can be moved to a new insurer.

You do need to have your own policy to build up a no claims bonus.

That is correct. They become void if not used for up to 2 years. You need to find an insurance company who is willing to give you a discount for being an accident free, named driver.

Very common. You had no "no claims" of your own, you were riding on another persons policy. They would have lost their no claims if you had caused a claim, but their status of no claim doesn't forward to you when you move to your own policy. You start over.

No that's pretty standard for all car insurance companies, same problem for people with business-owned cars too. Basically, a lapse of just one year will normally wipe out your no claims history. You will now be starting again, sorry.

Yes I agree with Cuddles,any lapse in policy will wipe out your no claims.

Its over 2 years lapse and you will lose your no claims.

Source(s): agent
  • anna

I think you will find this correct as you were not the one the policy was issued to,you haven't paid out so as they nothing in this life is free.