Should Nicola Sturgeon head the SNP when First Minister Alex Salmond retires?

I'm not an SNP voter, but Deputy First Minister Nicola Sturgeon certainly has courage and determination.

Do you, yourself - think she would be the right candidate?

Steve - I must reiterate I am NOT an SNP voter. I don't favour the abolition of the Union.

I've never been much of a fan of Salmond and she seems good and honest, I think she'd be a good leader or the SNP and the Scottish parliament.

For Steve, the SNP aren't racist, they don't seperate people by race like the BNP, in Scotland most people accept anyone who calls themselves Scottish as Scottish even if they are first generation immigrants. Also under Westminster rule Scotland has suffered at various points in history, here's a link http://www.highlandnet.com/info/misc/pipes.html read the last paragraph also under Thatchers rule Scotland along with Northern England had its industries destroyed, rail-lines removed and plenty of other things from which Scotland is still recovering . I don't support the SNP or independence but to claim the union has never had a negative effect on Scotland is just naive.

Really don't know where to start with this, let's start with your claim of a dictatorship, care to explain this one? Bare in mind information released today that if Scotland votes yes there will be a general election to vote in the first independent Scotland 18 months later. An election is a form of democracy if I'm not mistaken. Does that not mean we could vote labour in and Johanna Lamont would be the first prime minister of scotland? Where does you dictatorship fit into this? EU? I thought we wouldn't get accepted? Who said we would apply? Might be SNP policy but who said they will get the oppertunity to implmeant it? If independence is achieved the whole political landscape of Scotland changes. None of what you said resembles what's going on in Scotland and resembles bitterness and bigotry towards Scotland's right to self determination. If anybody here is thick and two shirts of the plank its you, Scotland's been in a dictatorship for the last 300 years, one it was forced into.

Hi there.

I see them as a force of division and racism in the world, so would prefer it if they disbanded. her energies are all towards breaking people up and setting them against each other, so are pointless.

We need to stand together to deal with the future, not break up to allow petty people to grasp the power that is their sole interest.

If you can convince me as to the evils the Scottish people suffer under by being linked with England, Wales and Northern Ireland, then I would be prepared to change my mind. Name even one.

Cheers, Steve.

• Curt J

Not a Brit, never heard of either one, but their names make me laugh. It sounds to me, as if you're discussing which fish ought to be in charge of the SNP.

Sorry if I offend, but I couldn't help myself.

Source(s): Just my opinion