Tuesday asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Don't you think that giving almost all of the power to two political parties is a bad idea?

As I just stated in response to a question, I believe that too many Americans have the bandwagon mentality and believe that they have to go with either one party or the other. It seems to be more about Team 1 vs. Team 2 than choosing the best candidate from a variety of candidates from different parties. The minor parties get ignored even if they better represent many people's views than the Democratic or Republican party can. To me, having to choose one or the other really isn't much of a choice.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • meg
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

It is the system of winner take all election by state or Congressional district that causes us to always have two parties. It forces people to chose between the lesser of evils or not have their vote matter, A third party with support spread evenly over the country can not win any representation in congress even if they have support of 20% of the population,

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Unfortunately, that is the way it is and has been since Millard Fillmore who was a part of the Whig party. Kind of sad considering the first president, George Washington, was not a Republican (party didn't exist yet) or a Democrat. He was an Independent. But the two parties which have dominated 98% of presidential elections since the very first president have been either Democrat or Republican. This has trickled to all elections of most every elected official running in a partisan election. It is unfair that other parties get passed up, but the only way to insure a candidate is going to win is to vote for one belonging to a party that is dominate- Democrat or Republican. Some people waste their vote on a third party candidate. But, make no mistake, it is a wasted vote. That has just been the manner by which our elections have been run on- one or the other of the two prominent parties.

Personally, I think they should dissolve both parties by decree and allow lesser parties to become the dominate parties. Maybe a less known party would have a better chance of getting something done that would be good for the country. Couldn't get much worse.

• 1 decade ago

I agree. Unfortunately, even though the government doesn't require a two party system, it seems to always be that way. Too many people vote for their registered party candidate, and too many politicians vote the way the other people in their party are voting.

Source(s): Years of voting for the lesser of two evils.
  • Yes, it's always about choosing the lesser of two evils. Hardly anyone subscribes to the extremism both parties espouse nowadays, but they vote for them anyway. Why? Because it's better than the other guy, their aren't any other options... etc. I recently heard Rush say you shouldn't vote for a third party because it's a vote for the Democrats. What tripe. Vote your mind people! Screw talking heads. They are paid for spouting off, you know.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 years ago

there have in no way been any non secular communist international places. all of them are formally atheist. i do no longer know approximately laying blame yet they actually circulate hand in hand. have you ever observed that taoist, confucionist, and buddhist coutries are governed with the aid of authoritarian regimes the place fact and justice as political techniques are invisible or non-existent? and that most of the main innovative political strikes in background have been inspired with the aid of Christianity, commencing from the founding of the recent international colonies to the abolition of slavery to the civil rights flow? right here's a riddle for you: Q whilst will a buddhist artwork in earnest to maintain his brother? A in no way. Christianity tells us that we are all in this at the same time, we'd desire to love one yet another, and seek for God and fact. Many attempt to pervert this message or masquerade it around to attain some credibility. yet what do atheists and Buddhists let us know? That it is all relative. that no one cares. there is no longer something very own. it is in simple terms no longer authentic. And all that property you concept you have been going to flee with? you're unlikely to flee with it. Peace to you.

• 1 decade ago

either way it doesnt matter.

the people that get elected or chosen to lead a country are never the ones that actually make the decisions. we live in puppet government times. theres a lot going off that we dont know about.

look up David Icke.

Source(s): Global conspiracy and edge media.
  • wrfine
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Toooo much money now to change it and put in a 3rd or even 4th party!

• 1 decade ago

Who is there to lose for a principle?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yes, please join my third party....the barely sane barely employed support party

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.