nlv
Lv 6
nlv asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 10 years ago

Is Ian McEwan right when he says criticising Islam is not racist?

"In an interview with today's Telegraph Magazine, McEwan said: "Chunks of left-of-centre opinion have tried to close down the debate by saying that if you were to criticise Islam as a thought system you are a de facto racist. That is a poisonous argument.

"They do it on the basis that they see an ally in their particular forms of anti-Americanism," he said.

"So these radical Muslims are the shock-troops for the armchair Left who don't want to examine too closely the rest of the package – the homophobia, the misogyny and so on."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/...

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Nikki
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

yes.

• meg
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

It is not racism because Islam is not a race but religious intolerance is every bit as harmful to a society. If I were looking for a terrorist I would have more success in picking a person at random from men who had a degree in engineering than picking a Muslim at random.

http://www.slate.com/id/2240157/

We create categories for people and then judge people based on the category rather than individual merit and this often blinds us to to what is the real source of our problems.

• 4 years ago

People criticize Christianity all the time yet that is not racists, most of the time people find it to be funny. I for one don't. Islam its self is not bad religion, I feel that it is an untrue religion but it is peaceful. People who are criticizing are the radical Islams. The ones that want to use their faith as a reason to kill. This is not a race.

• 10 years ago

Yes of course he is Islam is a religion not a race only sensitive left wingers hooked on PC would think racist .

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

its right to criticise any religion if you oppose that religion and all it stands for, the left dont seem to mind when the catholic church and members are abused by all kinds of insults because of the actions of a few. to criticise islam is right and just as long as you believe in what your critical off. islamophobia is a misnomer, to accuse somebody of islamaphobia is to insuinate there is something wrong with them.

@burt, islamaphobia means an irrational fear of islam and muslims, a phobia is an irrational fear. people being genuinely afraid of seeing a muslim and fearing the worst would be true islamaphobia. to label disliking or having a genuine distrust of muslims isnt islamaphobia. its the lefts way of trying to make out sensible people have an inate fear or psycological problem.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Yes, Muslim and Arab bashing is the most spectacular sport in the town and some people do not find it racist and offensive.

However, we are not even ask this question! They delete it straight away.

Are They Superior Than All Of Us?

1. “God gave us this land”.

2. “This holy land is for the Jews only and not for gentiles or goys”. Therefore they have the right to expel non Jews i.e. Muslims, Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, etc. etc as they have been doing so for the last sixty years with the assistance of the so called Christian USA, UK, Australia, … .

3. “We are the chosen people of God”.

4. “We are the master race …. .”

Ironically, they deny the existence of all of the above!

They have removed this question. This is called free speech!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/appeal?qid=20100...

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Islam isn't a race so I wouldn't say it is racist. Is it racist to slag off a christian or Jew, Christophobia or anti semitic I would say, as for Islam, Islamaphobia, all anti religious sentiments. I dont class anti religious sentiments the same as racist sentiments, as religion you can choose, race you don't. There are Arab christians and white muslims.

• 10 years ago

If the Muslims believe that criticising every other Faith or belief system is their right to do so and has the sanction of their exclusive Allah God then the reactions they create are not racist or blaspheme. It is just an angry reaction.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Islam is a religion NOT a race, therefore criticizing Islam can not be racist.

• Vicky
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Yes, I agree with him.

Race is race, religion is religion. Just because the two are often linked together, particularly in the minds of the ignorant, doesn't mean they are mutually exclusive.

There are hundreds of white, English Muslims and Christian Middle-Easterns out there.

• 10 years ago

Its not racist its islamicphobic, @nerd alert..... islamicphobic people have a good point, theres alot to be phobic of in Islam.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.