If you leave the phone off the hook in the United Kingdom, does it phone the police?

This is just to solve an argument in my house!

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Sarky
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

NO for crying out loud......

After a short while the exchange will send an alarm sound down the line to your receiver.

• 1 decade ago

I'm not sure about the UK system but some phones in America automatically dial 911 if they're left off the hook. The idea is that someone who's dying could reach the phone but not have a chance to dial. The E911 system knows the address the number came from so the emergency services can get there without ever having to hear a person on the other end of the line. Happens all the time over here.

Source(s): Personal experience.
  • 1 decade ago

No, of course not. After a while it does make a police siren sound though so you will hopefully hear it and realise the phone is off the hook.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

there is a scheme run by BT and i think by Age Concern,(or some similar organisation )where if the elderly person has severe health problems,it will buzz for so long then it automatically gets re-directed to the organisation concerned and they will come out and check up on the elderly person,if they don't get any response at the door then they will call in the police to force entry ,and to make sure the old person is ok or needs treatment.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, people accidentally leave their phone off the hook all the time. Their emergency system would be overwhelmed with calls and it would waste police resources.

• Sal*UK
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

No - BT just send a loud screeching noise down the line - unless you are connected to another number in which case it will cost you!.

• 6 years ago

It's not necessarily a *police-specific* siren sound, anyway.

• Teekno
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Well, if you take it off the hook and dial "999" it will.

Otherwise, no.

• 1 decade ago

Well I hope you're on the side saying 'don't be stupid.' You've got to dial a number call anyone, cops included.

• 1 decade ago

No it does not thats a stupid thing to think and what hook?! everyone has digital phones nowadays

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.