satya asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 10 years ago

How to differentiate between Chana dal and yellow split peas?

My question is about chana dal, toor dal and chickpea.

What is chana dal? Is it a grain commonly known as chickpea or is it the yellow split pea?

Also what is toor dal? Different photos show different looking grains?

Please be short and consistent with your answers :) Pictures welcome

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best answer

Chana Dal

The native variety of Indian chickpea is called Desi Chana. The mature seed has a seed-coat that is rough brown. Due to its color, it is also called Kala chana. India is the largest producer and consumer of Desi Chana. Decorticated split Desi chana is called Chana Dal. Chana Dal is yellow in color.

Yellow Split pea

This is the fully mature green-pea that has been dried. In Hindi, green-pea is called Mattar. The deorticated 'dried split pea' is called called 'Peeli Mattar Dal'. The yellow split pea looks like like Chana Dal. Yellow split pea is cheaper than the Chana Dal. It is illegal but some manufactures mix the two seeds to produce lower cost ground flour called Besan.

Pigeon pea

The pigeon peas are only second to Desi Chana in consumption in India. The seed-coat of the whole seed may be red, or brown. The whole seeds are deorticated and split and called Arhar Dal or Toor Dal. Some of the toor Dal is coated with castor oil for preservation

All the three decorticated split seeds look yellow. The chana dal is more rounder and smaller. The Arhar Dal is flatter. The Mattar dal is about same as chana dal but lighter pale.

• sedlay
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Chana Dal

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How to differentiate between Chana dal and yellow split peas?

My question is about chana dal, toor dal and chickpea.

What is chana dal? Is it a grain commonly known as chickpea or is it the yellow split pea?

Also what is toor dal? Different photos show different looking grains?

Please be short and consistent with your answers :) Pictures welcome

Source(s): differentiate chana dal yellow split peas: https://tr.im/Tn7UF
  • dawe
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Chana Dhal

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 10 years ago

Chana dal is a close relative of the chickpea - slightly smaller. There are lots and lots of other types of lentils and some of them are yellow. In India toor dhal (toovar, arhar are other names as is split pigeon pea) is a commonly used dhal.

Chana dhal is larger and a bit crunchier than toor dhal. Toor dhal is often sold with an oil coating to increase its shelf life.

Andy

• Martha
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Most of the other folk have got it right re soaking. When I make pease pudding I soak yellow peas overnight with a teas of bicarb of soda, next day rinse well and into a heavy bottomed pan put a chopped onion, a few sliced carrots the split peas and cover with ham stock (or veggie stock if you prefer) Bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 45 mins or until everything is soft and the stock absorbed. Season to taste,can be pureed for smoother texture. Can also be cooked in a slow cooker or oven.

• 10 years ago

Chaana = chickpeas.

Toor = pigeon peas

yellow split pea = yellow split peas lol...sorry I had to do it.

Dal is just the preperation/type of dish the peas are prepared to be. Kinda like saying 'chaana aloo curry' but in this case, it would be 'chaana aloo dal'. Get me? [Side note, aloo is potato].

Source(s): Im an American born Trini + Vaishnava...Indian food is a staple in my dietary life and my Wife is a Trini Indian [born here though].
  • Sandra
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/cXf3k

You need to soak the yellow split peas for a few hours only ... the are dried and need soaking out to resume size and composition before cooking otherwise when you cook you will have nothing left...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.