New Study: Domestic Violence against men just as likely as against women - what do we do now?

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/a-hidden-crime-domestic-violence-against-men-is-a-growing-probl/19297449/ This is actually a very detailed article, so I would encourage people to read it in full, as it explains and outlines a lot of the results and findings of the study. Some highlights are; - the... show more http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/a-hidd...

This is actually a very detailed article, so I would encourage people to read it in full, as it explains and outlines a lot of the results and findings of the study.

Some highlights are;

- the Department of Justice which funds many studies relating to violence against women, has explicitly refused to fund any such studies relating to violence against men.

- The National Institutes of Mental Health were kind enough to fund a single study, which showed several key things;

- Domestic violence occurs no less against men than against women

- The perception amongst women (and unfortunately men as well), that it is twofold more acceptable for a woman to hit a man compared to men hitting women.

- When calling the police , MEN who are VICTIMS of domestic violence are THREE TIMES more likely to get ARRESTED than the actual women who abuse them!!

- Despite that men get abused just as much as women, there is no funding, no facilities and no contribution at any level to help men deal with this. There is a single help center being staffed entirely by volunteers and ran off donations in the entire US

- Out of 1200-1800 domestic abuse shelters in the US, only 1 allowed men.

- The legal system is very biased in favor of women, which presents significant financial problems for countless men

So my question is, is it time we woke up and admitted that there is a serious crisis in regards to domestic abuse & violence, deep sexism and discrimination against men - and do something about it? And what can be done to help these male victims of abuse, when governmental agencies refuse to even consider it's happening?
18 answers 18